This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reconfigure Automatic Log File Deletion - Solution

Reconfigure Automatic Log File Deletion asked:

"Is it possible under Logging & Reporting > Log Settings > Local Logging to get the system to automatically delete log files after a period of time that does NOT appear as an option in the drop-down list?

The available options are: Never, after 1 day, after 3 days etc. up to 1 year. I need only to retain the logs for a period of 6 months to meet legal requirements. Is there any way this can be achieved?"

Unfortunately, this forum is not very helpful and locks old threads, so I have to answer in this new thread.

Yes, it's possible!

With some HTML-hacking, you can configure any number of days as retention period. I just set mine to 999 days, so that I can keep a decent amount of logs, but I don't have to suffer from a UTM design flaw that doesn't allow us to delete old logfiles automatically without sending useless warning mails when a disk usage threshold is reached.

Steps:

• Right-click the drop-down and select "Inspect"
  • In your browser's developer tools, expand the <select> node
  • Edit the value in one of the options, e.g. change
    <option value="365">Delete logs after a year</option>
    to
    <option value="999">Delete logs after a year</option>
  • click Apply

From now on, log files are deleted according to your choice. Caveat: The UI will show "Never delete log files", although the value you configured before is stored and stays active.

Hope that helps,
Markus

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
No Data