This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

QoS - Is the traffic really prioritized or is it just guaranteed bandwidth?

Hello,

I would like to prioritize our telephony traffic (SIP, VoIP, some telephone-system specific ports) in our network.

Our network bandwidth is not fully utilizied but I want to have this kind of traffic treated with priority.

Does the guarantee of bandwith (which I can define in Bandwith Pools tab) also means the traffic itself will be prioritized or is it simply to allocate/reserve the bandwith in the case of a bottleneck? In case it is only to allocate the bandwidth: How can I prioritize the traffic?

Regards
UTMAddict

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello  ,

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Under the Interface & Routing > Quality of Service (QoS) > Traffic Selectors > Add New Traffic selector. Here you you can define how this traffic gets handled by QoS, like limiting the overall bandwidth or guarantee a certain amount of minimum bandwidth Where as under the bandwidth pools you can define and manage bandwidth pools for bandwidth management, with a bandwidth pool, you reserve a guaranteed bandwidth for a specific outgoing traffic type, optionally limited by a maximum bandwidth limit. So I would not say it as traffic prioritizing but guaranteed bandwidth. Hope this clears your doubt.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Jagad | Team Lead, Global Support & Services 

Log a Support Case | Sophos Service Guide
    Best Practices – Support Case

Sophos Community | Product Documentation | Sophos Techvids | SMS
    If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hello  ,

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Under the Interface & Routing > Quality of Service (QoS) > Traffic Selectors > Add New Traffic selector. Here you you can define how this traffic gets handled by QoS, like limiting the overall bandwidth or guarantee a certain amount of minimum bandwidth Where as under the bandwidth pools you can define and manage bandwidth pools for bandwidth management, with a bandwidth pool, you reserve a guaranteed bandwidth for a specific outgoing traffic type, optionally limited by a maximum bandwidth limit. So I would not say it as traffic prioritizing but guaranteed bandwidth. Hope this clears your doubt.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Jagad | Team Lead, Global Support & Services 

Log a Support Case | Sophos Service Guide
    Best Practices – Support Case

Sophos Community | Product Documentation | Sophos Techvids | SMS
    If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Children