This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to Authenticate to Web Filter UTM9 Home

1. I've enabled the User Portal for these users. When I call up HTTPS://[IP of UTM], the user portal presents itself and I am able to log in under my account as well as the other profiles that I created.  (This is good and works the way I think I should).  (These profiles are for family members.)
  2. But when a user session times out or any other triggering event occurs which requires re-authentication, when I first try to access the internet, a page is displayed asking me to Authenticate before gaining access through the Web Filter.  This page is served up by:

passthrough.fw-notify.net.static/transparent.html. 

When I use the same credentials that I used for the User Portal,  I am told that the username or password is invalid. (I've tried with three of the profiles with the same results.)  I can still get to the internet but have to login as guest which is not the preferred way I want to go.

For reference these requests are coming from behind the firewall so it's on the LAN interface.  I do not access this box remotely. I looked and looked again at each profile to see if there is an extra box I need to check, (or uncheck), but could find nothing that leads me to believe that the solution lies in a property of the profiles created.  I looked in the manual about the passthrough url andit states mostly to make sure that popup blockers are disabled (which they are).  And it doesn't seem that that would be an issued as I and served the html page like from a normal browser request.

As I stated in my earlier posts, I've just begun to try and implement these features in version 9.711-5 UTM for home use, so I have no idea how many versions of the UTM this has been a  problem.  I've also tried to authenticate on different machines using different clients and get the same results.  Below is two screen prints  illustrating the issue.

Thanks in advance for you help.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I bent over backwards to get the text format perfect and when I posted it it looks like a child typed it out.

• Please insert pics of the error you see and of the 'Default Web Filter Profile'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks.  The error that I see is on the first screen print with a red circle around it. "Invalid Username or Password"

Here is the screen shot of the Default Web Filter Profile.  As I was having trouble with the Authentication from the start,

I turned if off about an hour ago.

• Authentication isn't enabled for Web Filtering, so something is "broken" somewhere.  Does a reboot fix this?  If not, does making an Exception for Authentication for "Internal (Network)" correct the behavior? (Shouldn't be necessary, but will help us know what to try next.)

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Your question about the sending the default web filter profile go me thinking so under the Policies tab I added my user name and assigned it to the default content filter.  It seemed like to worked once but I haven't been able to replicate it.  I am getting a different error message on the Authentications screen.  I'm going to play around with this and reboot like you suggested...

This error below was after I assigned by username to the content filter on the policies page.  I would have thought that the default filter would be the catch all.  And maybe it is,..  But it's given me a new direction to go for the time being.

Thanks for taking a look at it for me and if you think of something.....

• Not sure why you'replaying with the 'Policies' tab - a pic, please.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA