This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Non-bridgeable modem

I had a perfectly functional UTM setup but I was required to change my modem to one that can not be put in bridge mode.

I've been at this for a few hours and I can't figure put how to setup the WAN interface now that the modem is handling the authentication with the ISP. 

Can someone tell me if this is possible and even better what settings I should be using?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Ola Carlos,

do you know the inside IP of your „Modem“?

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Yes. It is 192.168.2.1

The issue is I don't know if this is possible and when I try changing the WAN interface to Ethernet which I figured would be the likely choice the entire UTM freezes up and it takes me a few reboots to deactivate the WAN interface.

The modern (Bell Hub 2000) also has a WAN port and not sure if I should be using that or just one of the LAN ports on the modem.

I have turned off all network services on the modem itself and also disabled the wifi but beyond that I can't seem to figure it out

• I don‘t know about that model, but you need an „inside“ interface (LAN?) and one „outside“ interface (WAN?). What type of uplink do you have?

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

• Right, so the uplink used to be DSL (PPPOE) when I was able to put the modem into bridge mode -- not that I can't put the modem into bridge mode I don't know what type I should be using.

The menu gives me 7 choices -- 3G/UMTS, DSL (PPPOA/PPTP), DSL (PPPOE), Ethernet, Ethernet Bridge, Ethernet VLAN, and Modem (PPP).

Of those, I can rule out four as obviously not what I want and it seems to me that I should want Ethernet but that doesn't work -- The interface remains down and the UTM actually becomes non-responsive and it takes quite a bit of just rebooting to eventually be able to get back into the configuration panel.

• Please show us an edit of your interface configuration of that ethernernet port on the Sophos.

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

• If you still have login credentials for DSL, then you would need to use the DSL PPPOE most likely.  The only thing that would be plugged into the modem would be the UTM, so that would be a LAN port (assuming DHCP is on your UTM).  Everything else should be behind the UTM. 

Modem --->UTM--->Switch/hub ---> client devices/APs.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)