This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WAN interface IPv6 address changing

I would like to set up an AAAA record for our WAN interface, so that it is reachable from the outside. But I notice that the IPv6 address is not static.

Our ISP (Deutsche Telekom) has given us a static IPv4 address and a static IPv6 prefix, but says that the changing address has to do with the configuration on our equipment.

What could be causing the address to change?

How can I make it permanent?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hallo Timotheus,

Please show a picture of the Edit of the Interface definition in the UTM.

Would a fixed IP address on an internal device in your IPv6 subnet work for what you need to do?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello Bob,

Screenshot looks like this:

The point is to advertise my mail server. I have used an A record for the IPv4 address. Recently a SMTP server rejected mails from us because it could not get a valid IPv6 address. So I assumed that I need a AAAA record for the same interface. If there is a better way of doing this I am interested to hear about it.

I have been wondering about the automatic renumbering feature:

Does this have anything to do with our issue?

Best regards,

Timotheus

• Hello Alex,

Thanks for providing your experience.

What do you see, is your address changing?

Do you have the check box for Static PPPOE IP set?

Regards,

Timotheus

• Hi, 

after having a look in the IPv6 Log file I can confirm, my IPv6 address is changing too. My settings are identical to yours.
    So thank you for giving that hint. But unfortunately I don't have a solution, either wasn't aware of that problem.

Best regards

Alex

-

• Sounds like it's time to get Sophos Support involved.  Please let us know the solution.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello Alex/Timotheus,

Have any of you had the chance to open a case with Support if so, please let me know the Case ID so I can follow up.

Regards,

Emmanuel (EmmoSophos)
    Technical Team Lead, Global Community Support
    Sophos Support VideosProduct Documentation  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
  • I am not convinced that this is a mistake. So before opening a case I need to be more convinced.
    The provider may be routing that customer network to the public address. So a change of the public address might not be a problem.
    Enclosed is an excerpt of the provider's details:

Does this make any sense?

Best regards

Alex

-

• Good morning Alex,

I tend to agree that it does not look like a UTM error. It is more of a matter of knowing how to configure it.

It would be nice to know in advance what the "Static PPPOE IP:" on the under the WAN interface settings does and if that is meant for a situation like ours.

I am hesitant to try experiments.

Best regards,

Timotheus

• I decided to go ahead and select the "Static PPPOE IP" option. It has been more than 24 hours since I did this and things are running smoothly.

• Ok, may I ask which IPV6 address you put in the corresponding field of the interface? Like in my screenshot above DTAG gives only a subnet not a specific address.

BR

-

• Hello Alex,

When I clicked the 'Static PPPOE IP Address' box it displayed the v4 and v6 address that the WAN interface was currently using. I just accepted those.

I talked to a Telekom technician before I raised this issue here and he told me that the changing IPv6 address was because of our configuration not theirs. I am wondering if the UTM was choosing a new address every day. It would be very nice if somebody from Sophos would comment on this and tell us how it is meant to work.

Regards,

Timotheus

• It has been more than two weeks since I made this change and I have detected no negative effects. 

Before I did this I was having occasional problems with the WAN interface not reconnecting when it disconnected once a day. That seems to be better now too.

My thanks to Alex and Bob who helped me search for a solution on this. 

If any problems show up I will post them here, but for now I am regarding this issue as resolved.

• It has been more than two weeks since I made this change and I have detected no negative effects. 

Before I did this I was having occasional problems with the WAN interface not reconnecting when it disconnected once a day. That seems to be better now too.

My thanks to Alex and Bob who helped me search for a solution on this. 

If any problems show up I will post them here, but for now I am regarding this issue as resolved.

Children