This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Outbound mail not being delivered since update to 9.100-16

I upgraded to 9.100-16 on May 15, 2013 at 12:21am and since then outbound emails originating from either the UTM box (home user license) or the internal network are being held up in SMTP Spool.

According the the SMTP Proxy log:

2013:05:17-11:18:02 myUTMhostname exim-out[2083]: 2013-05-17 11:18:02 1UcfXE-0001yu-4x Remote host smtp.hot.glbdns.microsoft.com [65.55.162.200] closed connection in response to AUTH PLAIN 

2013:05:17-11:18:02 myUTMhostname exim-out[2082]: 2013-05-17 11:18:02 1UcfXE-0001yu-4x == myemail@gmail.com R=smarthost_route T=smarthost_smtp defer (-18): Remote host smtp.hot.glbdns.microsoft.com [65.55.162.200] closed connection in response to AUTH PLAIN

I looked at the thread by Firestorm entitled "Inbound mail not being delivered since update to 9.100-16" created yesterday at 3:06am. The post by BALfson to add a host to skip TLS negotiation hosts/nets did not help me (it was a long shot since the errors noted by Firestorm was not the same).

My email on the UTM is setup so that all SMTP traffic is intercepted (Transparent mode) defined in Email Protection: SMTP: Advanced. I defined a smarthost to use smtp.live.com on port 587 set to require authentication with my username and password filled in. I do not have the Management: Notifications: Advanced: External SMTP server status enabled.

This setup has been working in version 9.006.005 and stopped working immediately after 9.100-16 so that not even the UTM could email me letting me know the firmware was applied successfully.

Is this a bug and is there a workaround?

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • After fiddling with the interfaces (since UTM arbitrarily defines the eth as it sees fit and not according to my restore), (snip)

Just for reference, that is expected behaviour for the UTM. The backup files are intentionally hardware independent so what you see with the hardware being rearranged on a fresh install is a function of the underlying Linux system. Given that the underlying system is different from v8 to v9.0 to v9.1, there will be expected changes to how the system numbers the interfaces.

Sent from my iPad using Astaro.org
  • Hi can you please tell me how i can log all outgoing mails
    using the smtp.gmail.com and smtp.googlemail.com
    i am using google apps
  • This problem persists under 9.101-12 (and I was hoping this version would have fixed it when I read the release notes - actually I was mistaken - 9.102 should be the release that hopefully fixes my issue - 25881: Some mailservers fail to establish smtp tls 1.2 connections). Email via Microsoft is not being sent out. Stuck in the spool:

Remote host smtp.hot.glbdns.microsoft.com [65.55.162.200] closed connection in response to AUTH PLAIN ****************************************
    2013-06-07 16:18:01 useremailaddress@gmail.com R=smarthost_route T=smarthost_smtp defer (-18): Remote host smtp.hot.glbdns.microsoft.com [65.55.162.200] closed connection in response to AUTH PLAIN ****************************************
  • Hello,

I registered the same problem on our customer with UTM version 9.100-16 and it persists after update to 9.101-12.

A few emails are still in SMTP spools with reason: "closed connection in response to MAIL FROM" ...

When I try manually telnet to destination SMTP server, in all case the destination SMTP server returns "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" before HELLO command.

Please, is here any workarround?

Thank you

Milan
  • All outgoing emails are working now since I changed the smart host from using smtp.live.com to smtp.gmail.com on port 587. No change to certificate or any other setting was done. I was planning to move away from Microsoft anyways.

So why would upgrading to 9.100-16 suddenly break TLS with just Microsoft? Anyone else seeing this?

I've had a customer that (prematurely) upgraded to 9.100-16 report just such an issue; there is a known bug in the TLS implementation of the SMTP proxy in 9.100-16 (and is still there in 9.101); it doesn't appear to affect every SMTP host out there, but the one that affected this customer did happen to be a Windows SMTP host w/ GFI Mail Gateway software installed on it... the only workaround I'm aware of is to add problem hosts to the skip TLS negotiation list in the Advanced tab of SMTP Proxy.  Word is that they should have a real fix for this in in 9.102.

Just noted Jcherian has said much of this already... at any rate, this is what I've seen as a reseller.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• I have inserted destination servers adresses to "Skip TLS negotiation hosts/nets" in "Advanced tab - TLS settings" and now e-mails to these domains successfully leaving.

I hope the issue 25881 will be fixed soon!

Milan
  • I don't see the bug 25881 fixed in new version 9.102-8 ! :-( When can we expect this bug to be fix???
  • Milan, in another thread, AngeloC explained that the next version is 9.103, due in a few weeks.  9.102 is a bugfix only.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA