This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to disable bounce messages

I'm still running V6 (I know... I'm actually upgrading in about 2 weeks).  But want to know how to suppress or simply not send bounce messages back to a sender.  For example, when I send an email to a non existent user at my domain from gmail I get a bounce back on my gmail account telling me it was not delivered etc.  I don't want to send these messages.  Any thoughts / advice / info is greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I know it's possible because I kill a lot of NDR type messages on our other SPAM devices.  But I don't see anywhere to do it on the ASG's.  Any ideas, input would be greatly appreciated.

And while I'm at it...what about in V7?  Since I'll be upgrading to that soon.  Thanks
  • I don't know about your backend server, but in exchange you can disable ndr. I think it breaks some RFC but if that is what you want. 
    In v6 uncheck verify recipient on astaro and it will accept all the mail and relay it to your backend server. Now you can do whatever you please with that mail. 
    In v7 recipient verification is on by default and cannot be turned off so you will have to accept all the mail at the backend and deal with it there. The NDRs are by design and therefore you can't stop them unless you go and tweak exim (the MTA used by astaro) and that will void your warranty.
    Just curious on why you want to do this?
  • I figured out how to handle it elsewhere.  I don't want to send out NDR's.  Doing this can cause backscatter.  Check it out:
    http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/index.php/2008/05/16/are-you-relaying-ndr-spam/
  • This article states that "NDR spam is currently about 2% of all spam". Not really a big number, plus you can stop the kind of spam mentioned in the article by using BATV.

Glad you figured out a way on your own[;)]
  • FYI, I have quite a few mail spam boxes, various manufacturers, including 3 astaro 220 and a 320.  I tried BATV today on 7.402 boxes and some recipients mail servers REJECT mail if you have BATV configured on.  It doesn't like the extra text in the headers.  We process over 6 million emails in and out on a daily basis. so I saw the issue real quick.. THis time I changed it back real quick. HAHA before someone called us griping. haha
  • Backscatterer.org powered by UCEPROTECT
    Backscatterer.org powered by UCEPROTECT shows that 7.306 and 7.402 astaro STILL are not handling email right.  I've tried enabling and disabling stuff with no luck.  BATV just gets our outgoing emails rejected, mainly when they're headed to banks or wall street firms email servers.  Dunno what they're running or why.  Anyone got any hints.  I'd love to figure out why the astaros still do this.  They've done it for a long time.  They FAIL vulnerability scans on email on Qualys and others... Qualys show the astaro 7.402 and 7.306 are able to allow spammers to relay mail through the astaros by sending the spam victim as the the SENDER... then send to a non existant user on your domain behind the astaro.  That creates a bounced mail which goes to the victim....and NO i'm not going to call astaro.  They don't reply in a timely fashion.
  • RDL, if you have Gold support, the best way to contact support is to submit a support request via the web: https://www.astaro.com/license/open_support_case.  If you don't already have a free MyAstaro account, you can register there.

if you have Astaro Platinum support, you have a special phone number to call where response is fairly rapid, but the quickest is still via the web form.

As I said in a differnet post a few minutes ago, backscatter can be addressed by changing how you have your Astaro configured.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • RDL, if you have Gold support, the best way to contact support is to submit a support request via the web: https://www.astaro.com/license/open_support_case.  If you don't already have a free MyAstaro account, you can register there.

if you have Astaro Platinum support, you have a special phone number to call where response is fairly rapid, but the quickest is still via the web form.

As I said in a differnet post a few minutes ago, backscatter can be addressed by changing how you have your Astaro configured.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Thanks,  I never had luck recently getting astaro to call back within 4 hours.

I'm going to have to move my email filtering over to another box until they fix it.
    Thanks SO MUCH for your suggestions I've read over the last few months.
    I'm just tired of working 100 to 120 hours a week last 2 weeks,
  • I"ll dig around and look for your post.  Thanks again.  Hopefully I can figure it out.  I'm kinda new to the computer industry.  Since 1976. haha   Hopefully my old tired brain can figure it out.  Thanks again kind sir.
  • I am not sure how to take your posts. I am not sure if you are trying to flame astaro or just frustrated in general. 
    We process over 6 million emails in and out on a daily basis.

If you are processing this many emails, the easiest solution for you is what every other ISP in the world uses. Don't use the same mail server for outgoing email that you use for incoming email. No NDRs even with astaro if it doesn't know how to route, simple enough??[H]

additional info for those interested or who have problem. Backscatter has picked up big time this week for some reason.
    Computer Security Research - McAfee Avert Labs Blog

Dude that article is from 2008 and its not even an article, its a blog.[;)]

I'm kinda new to the computer industry. Since 1976.

Ever think of retiring and giving us newbies a chance. Maybe we don't want our RFCs broken.[:)]
  • Billybob, I think he's just frustrated, and I bet he's got multiple servers in/out.  It sounds like he has a problem that shouldn't exist, so maybe he's got a good reason to feel frustrated.

Cheers - Bob
    PS Wait a minute, are you saying that Astaro wouldn't wouldn't know how to route a bounce if it's not configured to relay from the host to which it delivers email for a domain?  I hadn't thought of that.  Are you sure?

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob, if you look at exim.conf, basically what astaro does is drop the message if you have any kind of verification turned on therefore all the messages are dropped at connection time if you have AD verification or verification with callout turned on. So no backscatter there. 

The scenario which might cause backscatter is if your backend server is down and astaro received the message. Now when the backend server comes back it will reject the message to astaro. In my testing, astaro still freezes the message but in logs shows a bounced message. But lets say for argument that astaro wants to bounce it, you can easily define a fake smarthost and that will freeze it.

NDRs are important. What if you sent a 5mb ppt presentation to someone and he only accepts emails upto 2mb. No ndr means you think you are done and the other party thinks you never sent the item.

are you saying that Astaro wouldn't wouldn't know how to route a bounce if it's not configured to relay from the host to which it delivers email for a domain? I hadn't thought of that. Are you sure?

That is not how I was thinking of doing it but theoretically that should work. Accept mail for a certain domain and then deny the host that is behind astaro accepting that mail to relay thru astaro. That way all ndrs will be rejected as relay not permitted. Only thing is that then you need a totally different server to send out email. But why go through all that when you can just disable ndrs on exchange etc. 

Most people forget astaro is just a relay not a mail server. Configure your mail server correctly and use relay for relaying and dropping stuff during transaction. Not after the fact.

By the way what are you doing moderating on a Friday night at 11:45 pm[:D]
  • Bob, if you look at exim.conf, basically what astaro does is drop the message if you have any kind of verification turned on therefore all the messages are dropped at connection time if you have AD verification or verification with callout turned on. So no backscatter there.

Yep.  That nets it out very clearly.  I guess you're tellin' me I'm a little too "wordy" at times? [[;)]]

By the way what are you doing moderating on a Friday night at 11:45 pm

You mean at 10:16pm?  11:45, hmmm - "hoist with his own petard?" [[;)]]

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA