This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Want to disable bounce messages

I'm still running V6 (I know... I'm actually upgrading in about 2 weeks).  But want to know how to suppress or simply not send bounce messages back to a sender.  For example, when I send an email to a non existent user at my domain from gmail I get a bounce back on my gmail account telling me it was not delivered etc.  I don't want to send these messages.  Any thoughts / advice / info is greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I know it's possible because I kill a lot of NDR type messages on our other SPAM devices.  But I don't see anywhere to do it on the ASG's.  Any ideas, input would be greatly appreciated.

And while I'm at it...what about in V7?  Since I'll be upgrading to that soon.  Thanks
  • I don't know about your backend server, but in exchange you can disable ndr. I think it breaks some RFC but if that is what you want. 
    In v6 uncheck verify recipient on astaro and it will accept all the mail and relay it to your backend server. Now you can do whatever you please with that mail. 
    In v7 recipient verification is on by default and cannot be turned off so you will have to accept all the mail at the backend and deal with it there. The NDRs are by design and therefore you can't stop them unless you go and tweak exim (the MTA used by astaro) and that will void your warranty.
    Just curious on why you want to do this?
  • I figured out how to handle it elsewhere.  I don't want to send out NDR's.  Doing this can cause backscatter.  Check it out:
    http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/index.php/2008/05/16/are-you-relaying-ndr-spam/
  • This article states that "NDR spam is currently about 2% of all spam". Not really a big number, plus you can stop the kind of spam mentioned in the article by using BATV.

Glad you figured out a way on your own[;)]
  • FYI, I have quite a few mail spam boxes, various manufacturers, including 3 astaro 220 and a 320.  I tried BATV today on 7.402 boxes and some recipients mail servers REJECT mail if you have BATV configured on.  It doesn't like the extra text in the headers.  We process over 6 million emails in and out on a daily basis. so I saw the issue real quick.. THis time I changed it back real quick. HAHA before someone called us griping. haha
  • FYI, I have quite a few mail spam boxes, various manufacturers, including 3 astaro 220 and a 320.  I tried BATV today on 7.402 boxes and some recipients mail servers REJECT mail if you have BATV configured on.  It doesn't like the extra text in the headers.  We process over 6 million emails in and out on a daily basis. so I saw the issue real quick.. THis time I changed it back real quick. HAHA before someone called us griping. haha
Children
No Data