This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SPX Encryption Passwords - Again

The good news is I have this working. I do have a question, I have the password option specificed as "Specified by Sender". Why does the password have to be specified every time? I understand creating one initially using [secure:"password"], to create the password associated with that email address. But if I send another encrypted email to that same user, if I do not add [secure:"password"], I get an email back saying "missing password".

Am I missing something?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi KevinNadin,

I strongly believe that you are using data protection along with SPX. We recommend not using the template option, "Specified by sender" in combination with Data Protection. With Data Protection, the sender does not know beforehand that an email will be encrypted and thus will not enter the password into the Subject field. When Sophos UTM tries to SPX encrypt an email with no password specified, the sender will receive an error message with the information that the password is missing.

Hope that helps,

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I believe I have DP turned off. As I mentioned, I only want to send the password initially if that is possible. If I send the password in the form of [secure:"password"], works everytime, but seems redundant to do that everytime inaddition to clicking on the "Sophos Encrypt Plugin" icon. If I do not specify a [secure:"password], then I get a return email saying missing password and the encrypted email does not get sent.

Kevin

• I believe I have DP turned off. As I mentioned, I only want to send the password initially if that is possible. If I send the password in the form of [secure:"password"], works everytime, but seems redundant to do that everytime inaddition to clicking on the "Sophos Encrypt Plugin" icon. If I do not specify a [secure:"password], then I get a return email saying missing password and the encrypted email does not get sent.

Kevin

Children
  • Hi Kevin,

In that case, I can suggest you to use SPX template with password settings: Generated and Stored for recipient. Using this option, Sophos UTM will automatically create a recipient-specific password when the first email is sent to a recipient. This password will be sent to the sender. With the next email, the same password is used automatically.

The password will expire when it is not used for a certain time, and you can reset it, see the SPX Configuration tab.

If you want to specify a self created password instead of a UTM generated one, then I will redirect you to raise a feature request on Sophos Ideas.

Thanks,

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Ok I will do that. And yes, was looking to create a unique password that the user could specify but not have to key into the subject line everytime.

Kevin