This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Qotom Core i7 mini computer - too good to be true?

Hi I just purchased a miniComputer from the chinese vendor Qotom.  It seems like a pretty nice little device but I've run into a very significant problem in that the UTM ISO won't recognize more than a single NIC of the 4 available.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Doug

SPECS:

Intel Core i7 4500U Haswell

Intel 4400 Graphics

1x HDMI   1x RS-232  1x mini-PCIe  1x mSATA 

4x Intel I211-AT Gigabit Network

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Dear Doug

you can install ESXI VMware  on your pc and make a virtual machine SOPHOS UTM 9 

• No, that is not what I'm interested in doing.  It's possible to remove an entire VM from an ESXi implementation.  I'm looking for a bare iron installation not VM.
    Note: I'm running a VM on ESXi at the present time.  This is not secure enough for me.

• You are correct.  The BIOS configuration allows me to blink the led on each NIc and the problem is with the hardware manufacturer.
    Thanks for the information.

•  Hey Ben,
    I'm interested in your performance.

What I'm seeing is a minor but significant slowdown in download speeds, though I'm not seeing much of an impact with CPU usage.
    I only have a 40Mb/s and I'm seeing something like 32Mb/s when I use the UTM.  This is not a concern to me but I'm curious what others see with much larger pipes.

• finally got my box from china;

getting the full 500/100 here, testing vpn next.

Performance is great, this is the best device <12Watt with 4 Intel NICs in such packets.

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• That is very very encouraging to hear.
    Do you have all the bells and whistles turned on: specifically Intrusion Detection, Virus Scan et al...?

• with all bells and whistles tailored to my needs (IPS, advanced thread etc.) i get about 180-200Mbit/s per snort process per core throughput. 

Might just order a second box as spare (or HA? :-))) ) and use that to test machine to machine throughput via ipsec & aes-ni :) 

---

• I don't think the number of snort processes is configurable.  Did you figure out how to do that?

Glad you're happy with the little gem.  I am so glad I'm not listening to the damn fan any more and not paying for all the power.

I had it's predecessor installed on an old VMWare Hypervisor which had a very old Intel Q6600 Quad Core.  I think it was pulling 250 watts.

• well snort isn't multi threaded so 1 transfer = 1 snort process (as far as i know), i think there can be more than 1 snort process if multiple sources/destinations are called.

---

• just wanted to give a quick update after a little more than 2 weeks of usage:

performance is great like i said, IPsec Site2Site via AES is up to 850MBit/s over LAN, OpenVPN via CPU is 200Mbit/s per Core and about the same for IPS (200Mbit/s per Core for IPS)

---

• dougga said:

I don't think the number of snort processes is configurable.  Did you figure out how to do that?

This works easily:

console> show ips-settings
    -------------IPS Instances------------
    IPS CPU
    1    0

console>set ips ips-instance add IPS cpu 1
    0     1
    console> set ips ips-instance apply

Finally proof, you have assigned a second CPU to the second IPS instance:
    console> show ips-settings
    -------------IPS Instances------------
    IPS CPU
    1    0
    2    1

Please send me Spam gueselkuebel@sg-utm.also-solutions.ch

• ^^What command are you typing in to access the console once in the ssh shell?

Reply Children
No Data