This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM9 install on machine with only DVI-D/HDMI connection

I would like to know if Sophos UTM9 will get an update whereby someone who has a motherboard with onboard DVI-D/HDMI connections only (no VGA on board nor a video card with VGA available) will be able to complete an install.

I have read the various posts about how to get installations to work, but they are beyond my technical expertise.  I am using a Z170 motherboard that has one ethernet connection that isnt recognized during installation (Killer 2400).  If I use the only PCIe slot for a Intel 1000PT dualport card, I am forced to use on-board video.  When installation goes it gets stuck at 66%.

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • You bet, Jeff.  Especially if you have any DNATs that allow traffic in from the Internet to a mail server or a web server, for example.  It's also helpful in identifying if there's an infected machine in your network.  I probably wouldn't leave it off unless I only had a time clock at the site that I monitored via Remote Access to the UTM.  It's definitely worth having a faster processor if you can fit that in the budget.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Once again, thank you for your response.  I was trying to get it to work on the I7-6700K install, but as you can see from my progress above, I have been unsuccessful.  That is ultimately where i would like Sophos to reside.

I dont have any webserver/email server behind the firewall.  For a home user, is it needed?

• It's less important for a home user that doesn't DNAT Internet traffic to a particular device.  See #2 in Rulz to understand that it's one of the first lines of defense.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Installed v 9.5 on following hardware:

Gigabyte G1-Z170N Gaming 5 mITX mobo

Intel I7-6700K CPU

16GB DDR4-2400 ram

256GB Intel 600p NVMe SSD

Dual port Intel P1000T NIC

I was stunned.....no errors/stalls during install (this machine only has DVI-D and HDMI video ports and with v 9.4 it would hang up at 66%)

This machine uses an NVMe SSD which was also properly detected and installed to.  Restored from backup file and am up and running fine!!

No performance hit at all when IPS is enabled.