This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[9.312] Intel 82572EI e1000e Hardware Unit Hang

Hi,

I have rebuilt one of my firewalls, using a Z87 motherboard and an Intel 82572EI PCIe NIC as eth1/WAN.

I'm now getting a LOT of e1000e "eth1: Detected Hardware Unit Hang" messages, and the firewall stops responding on ALL interfaces including LAN.

I notice the UTM says it is disabling TSO, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

If I run
ethtool -K eth1 tso off gso off  gro off
it gets MUCH better (maybe solved).

Where should I add this to init or udev?

lspci:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 06)

Thanks,
Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I see 2 resets in my dmesg log for my i217-V on my Z87 board. This is far fewer than my 82572EI NIC was getting.

You could try disabling TSO and see if it stops:
    ethtool -K eth0 tso off

If that helps, please report back.

Barry
  • the 217v isn't the same physical chip but it highly emulates the  82572 series chips so the resets still occur.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• @William - thanks for reply, however I have no choice as my onboard NICs are 1) Atheros which is not supported and does not work - it was originally detected and setup as eth0 but no go - now disabled; and 2) the intel i217.  My other Intel PCIe NIC is using the only slot on the mITX motherboard.

You could try disabling TSO and see if it stops:
    ethtool -K eth0 tso off

@BarryG - okay I will try that and report back.
    Thanks.

Sophos XG 17.0 RC-1 - Home - Bridged mode behind Sky Q Hub / Sky Fibre Max (80/20)

Custom UTM PC (Intel Z97 iTX, Intel Core i3, 8GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, 2 Intel NIC's, Corsair AIO)

• So far, it has worked [:)]

I ran the command and then I repeated the updates to Linux and Windows 10 Preview VM's that caused my previous issues with the NIC - not a single failure.

Thanks for your help.

Sophos XG 17.0 RC-1 - Home - Bridged mode behind Sky Q Hub / Sky Fibre Max (80/20)

Custom UTM PC (Intel Z97 iTX, Intel Core i3, 8GB DDR3, 120GB SSD, 2 Intel NIC's, Corsair AIO)

• There's also a good way around this linux driver bug..simply run hyper-v as your hypervisor then you do not have to deal with this Linux bug.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Reply from Sophos:

Our escalation team,advise that there's no way to make 
    ethtool -K wlan# tso off reboot safe, we've had a few customers make scripts
    so the command is run again after a reboot, but there is no way to make that command reboot persistent.

I've replied, asking why UDEV can't be used.

Barry
  • You can add the following line to /etc/crontab-static and to /etc/crontab:

@reboot root /sbin/ethtool -K wlan0 tso off

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, I'm still seeing some resets in 9.355 and am wondering if there has been any progress from Intel?

[ 1823.540584] ---[ end trace 3d58c669c68d6b0a ]---
    [ 1823.540590] e1000e 0000:01:00.0 eth1: Reset adapter unexpectedly
    [ 1832.204945] e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx
    [ 1832.205058] e1000e 0000:01:00.0 eth1: Link Speed was downgraded by SmartSpeed

ETH1 is Intel 82572EI PCIe NIC

Thanks,
    Barry