This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos on pcengines APU?

Hi guys!

First of all - my big bow to all of you making it possible for home users to use sophos utm! There are many different things out there and among all of them - you remain streamlined, organized and offer a professional product at no cost for home users. KUDOS!

I have been using sophos for couple of years and i always had one tripping point: size of HW. I mean, there are mini itx solutions and thin itx standard, but it always turns out looking like a pc and not like a small nice firewall/router.

PcEngines has made a new board that is only 6" x 6", fits in their super small case, has 3 Giga lan ports and mini pci slots for wifi card. The box uses 6-12w under full load and is completely passive!

So - now the big question - will sophos run on this board?

Here is the board:

PC Engines apu1c product file

I hope this will/can work so that i can buid the fw that performs well and that my wife finds it acceptable to stay under the TV set [:)]

cheers

Tomba

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Have you as we suggested deployed the initial UTM on a INTEL NUC device? because i think its the only initial device either Mike or myslef have tested.

Also, a quick search got me there:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/28984

I'd advise the following:
    1 - re-download the latest UTM image from here:
        ftp://ftp.astaro.com/UTM/v9/software_appliance/iso/asg-9.205-12.1.iso
    ftp://ftp.astaro.com/UTM/v9/software_appliance/iso/asg-9.205-12.1.iso.md5
    2 - Verify your download against the MD5 hash !!!
    3 - re-install as advised here and possibly on a different storage device (msata ssd)

Personally i've had issues with some samsung msata evo drives..

let us know,
    cheers,
    m.
  • Thank you very much for your reply.

I deployed on a 'regular' HP Desktop machine with Delock mSATA adapter and Kingston 30GB SSD. Probably using a HP or using the Delock SATA to mSATA adapter could be the issue. Will try a NUC/'machine with mSATA on-board' and try again. Will let you know.

Kind regards
    Jones
  • Hi guys!

First of all - my big bow to all of you making it possible for home users to use sophos utm! There are many different things out there and among all of them - you remain streamlined, organized and offer a professional product at no cost for home users. KUDOS!

I have been using sophos for couple of years and i always had one tripping point: size of HW. I mean, there are mini itx solutions and thin itx standard, but it always turns out looking like a pc and not like a small nice firewall/router.

PcEngines has made a new board that is only 6" x 6", fits in their super small case, has 3 Giga lan ports and mini pci slots for wifi card. The box uses 6-12w under full load and is completely passive!

So - now the big question - will sophos run on this board?

Here is the board:

PC Engines apu1c product file

I hope this will/can work so that i can buid the fw that performs well and that my wife finds it acceptable to stay under the TV set [:)]

cheers

Tomba

I would NOT recommend that machine.  A d525 atom is a better performing machine and that's pushing it.  head for a DC celeron of at least 2.0 ghz..haswell edition being preferred.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Thank you very much for your reply.

I deployed on a 'regular' HP Desktop machine with Delock mSATA adapter and Kingston 30GB SSD. Probably using a HP or using the Delock SATA to mSATA adapter could be the issue. Will try a NUC/'machine with mSATA on-board' and try again. Will let you know.

Kind regards
    Jones

Hum yes i mildly suspect that the HP system has a different IO controller.. The Delock msata converter shall not be any problem as long as you can boot on it. But yes if you can get your hands on one of these little NUC's, i've got 2 of them and they're really handy, on the most powerfull i've build myself a VMware nano lab which works just great !!!

Let me know okay !

Take care,
    m.
  • I would NOT recommend that machine.  A d525 atom is a better performing machine and that's pushing it.  head for a DC celeron of at least 2.0 ghz..haswell edition being preferred.

I'm sorry to go against what you've said here / i'm running Sophos UTM 9.2 on a PC Engines APU1C4 and honestly it works like a charm, i'm constantly below or at 50% ram usage max and i'm barely hitting 20-30% cpu usage at peaks. So to me that solution is perfect, totally silent and consuming about 6 to 12W depending on the CPU load. A clear and green winner for me !
  • hi folks

thanks for all your tipps. i was able to use an intel nuc to install sophos utm 9.2 onto the kingston 30gb msata ssd, set console stuff, transferred it to pcengines apu 1d4 and it worked perfectly. therefore the 'use a nuc advice' solved the problem :-)

many regards
    jones
  •   Hi all,

Running on APU1C with a 9.201-23.1 UTM system. Intallation is a little tricky though;

01: Make USB stick with UTM iso source, copy Mikboss's (read posts here) moded files in /sconmod self made root dir on install usb key
    02: Make insall on Intel NUC. Finish the install, go through the wizard via WebGui --> make a minimal functional and running install on NUC then after initial setup and webgui minimal config your UTM system will reboot then from your console;

Code:

mount -o remount, rw /boot
    mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp
    cd /tmp/sconmod/boot/grub
    cp * /boot/grub
    cd /tmp/sconmod/etc
    cp * /etc

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

the needed serial console enabled moded files are:
    Code:

/boot/grub/menu.lst
    /boot/grub/menu.lst-default
    /etc/inittab
    /etc/securetty
    /etc/serial.conf

03: Then run the factory reset via command-line.
    Login at the command-line as 'loginuser'.
    Login as 'root'.
    Enter 'cc' [Press ENTER].
    Enter 'RAW' [Press ENTER].
    Enter 'system_factory_reset' [Press ENTER].

The system will automatically shutdown when it's finished.

04: Shutdown NUC device, transport mSATA HDD to final APU1C, boot up & final configure/tune to your needs.

Hi @ALL 

i do the step 1-4 
    after start alix with apu i get the error message "ERROR 15" on the console [:(]

what did i wrong ?

Greetz
  • Hi ,

okay i have make the step 1-4 again and now it works!! 
    But i have got a new Problem [[:(]]

There is no Network [[:(]] 

Do i must install the Realtek Driver manually? Can someone help me with that problem?ß

• There is no Network [:(] 

Please make sure of the followings:

01. you're source ISO has been HASH'ed against the provided hash value and therefore verified trusty.
    02. please issue the following command; lshw -C network

Your ethernet ports shall be listed. If they aren't id run these steps again from the serial console:
    03: Then run the factory reset via command-line.
    Login at the command-line as 'loginuser'.
    Login as 'root'.
    Enter 'cc' [Press ENTER].
    Enter 'RAW' [Press ENTER].
    Enter 'system_factory_reset' [Press ENTER].

cheers,
    m.
  • Hi mokaz thank you for your reply.

after the command lshw -C network i get this:

host:/root # lshw -C network
      *-network DISABLED
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           logical name: eth1
           version: 06
           serial: 00:0d:b9:35:85:98
           size: 100Mbit/s
           capacity: 1Gbit/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
           resources: irq:44 ioport:1000(size=256) memory:f7a00000-f7a00fff memory:f7900000-f7903fff
      *-network DISABLED
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: eth2
           serial: 00:0d:b9:35:85:99
           size: 10Mbit/s
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
           resources: irq:45 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f7c00000-f7c00fff memory:f7b00000-f7b03fff
      *-network DISABLED
           bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
           logical name: eth3
           serial: 00:0d:b9:35:85:9a
           size: 10Mbit/s
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
           resources: irq:46 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:f7e00000-f7e00fff memory:f7d00000-f7d03fff