This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos on pcengines APU?

Hi guys!

First of all - my big bow to all of you making it possible for home users to use sophos utm! There are many different things out there and among all of them - you remain streamlined, organized and offer a professional product at no cost for home users. KUDOS!

I have been using sophos for couple of years and i always had one tripping point: size of HW. I mean, there are mini itx solutions and thin itx standard, but it always turns out looking like a pc and not like a small nice firewall/router.

PcEngines has made a new board that is only 6" x 6", fits in their super small case, has 3 Giga lan ports and mini pci slots for wifi card. The box uses 6-12w under full load and is completely passive!

So - now the big question - will sophos run on this board?

Here is the board:

PC Engines apu1c product file

I hope this will/can work so that i can buid the fw that performs well and that my wife finds it acceptable to stay under the TV set [:)]

cheers

Tomba

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • yeah, about that 16 GB mSATA from PC Engines: over the last few days, while fiddling with the APU and debian/astaro, it happened at least three times that all partitions have disappeared after shutdown/reboot astaro. it never happened with debian wheezy. and it also never happened when using an mSATA SSD from crucial...
  • Hi,

16GB is TOO SMALL, especially for an SSD.

Are these systems really cheap? If not, why not get an Atom or Brazos or something faster?

Barry
  • barry,

why's a 16 GB SSD too small? should be enough for the essential edition, no?

yes, these systems are pretty cheap: USD 145.00 for the board ->
    PC Engines Order Form
    PC Engines apu1c product file

and they're massively more powerful than the Atom-based soekris net6501, too.

michael
  • Hi,

You need space for logs, up2dates, etc.
    The minimum requirement used to be 20GB, but I think it's higher now.

With SSDs, you need more space so the drive has room to do wear leveling, etc., otherwise the drive will wear out quickly.

Barry
  • tomba,

I definitely would advise against the mSATA SSD from PC Engines, at least for now. there seems to be an issue with them. I was able to reproduce the behavior and again, it has lost all partitions! I ended up ordering a bunch of SanDisk 32 GB SSDs from brack.ch (CHF 43.00 a piece).
  • the problem I'm seeing might indeed have something to do with the size of the SuperSSpeed SSD. 16 gigs doesn't seem to be enough space. today I installed to the SanDisk 32 GB SSD and I checked the partitioning: the installer creates a bunch of partitions, summing up at roughly 20 GB. Sophos UTM now runs flawless.
  • I had the same Problem with the SuperSSpeed S238 16GB msata SSD.
    With a used 16GB SanDisk msata SSD (from my Lenovo Laptop) I haven't lost any Partition now (only since 2 days).

I had installed first the HW Version from a external USB-DVD drive and an external Keyboard. I had to press 2-3 times Enter and the installer finished without any Problems (no Output on Serial interface). There are a few beeps, which is the Signal for a finished instalaltion.

The (blind) Installation with the Software Version works too, it needs more interactions at the right time. With a parallel Installation in virtual machine, is the blind installation not difficult.

I use now the SW-Version on my apu

greets

Manuel
  • Hi all,

Running on APU1C with a 9.201-23.1 UTM system. Intallation is a little tricky though;

01: Make USB stick with UTM iso source, copy Mikboss's (read posts here) moded files in /sconmod self made root dir on install usb key
    02: Make insall on Intel NUC. Finish the install, go through the wizard via WebGui --> make a minimal functional and running install on NUC then after initial setup and webgui minimal config your UTM system will reboot then from your console;

mount -o remount, rw /boot

mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp
    cd /tmp/sconmod/boot/grub
    cp * /boot/grub
    cd /tmp/sconmod/etc
    cp * /etc

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

the needed serial console enabled moded files are:
    /boot/grub/menu.lst

/boot/grub/menu.lst-default
    /etc/inittab
    /etc/securetty
    /etc/serial.conf

03: Then run the factory reset via command-line.
    Login at the command-line as 'loginuser'.
    Login as 'root'.
    Enter 'cc' [Press ENTER].
    Enter 'RAW' [Press ENTER].
    Enter 'system_factory_reset' [Press ENTER].

The system will automatically shutdown when it's finished.

04: Shutdown NUC device, transport mSATA HDD to final APU1C, boot up & final configure/tune to your needs.

Just ask if you need more informations..
    regards,
    m.
    astaro_files_APU_PCEngines_SERIALCONSOLE.zip
  • Hi,

We want to try the UTM SW-Version on the PC Engines apu1c4. We have done an initial installation of the UTM Software 9.203 on a Samsung SSD-harddrive in an other pc. Then we moved the SSD from the other pc to the apu1c4. When we power on the apu1c4 we hear the 5 beeps from the speaker, but serial console on the apu1c4 is not working.
    We need to get the serial console working. Where can we download the modified files:
    /boot/grub/menu.lst
    /boot/grub/menu.lst-default
    /etc/inittab
    /etc/securetty
    /etc/serial.conf

Thanks.

Regards, Frits
  • Dear users

The installation works as expected (install, enabling serial console, resetting, transfering the msata ssd), but on booting the UTM on the apu, it stops on mounting the partitions with the message: waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/root to appear. Did anybody already experience this? I see it on UTM 9.1 and UTM 9.2, and with apu1c, apu1c4 and the new apu1d4.

For me, it looks like the UTM does not find the msata as block device.

Thankful for any hint or trick.

Regards
    Jones