This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mini-ITX Atom MB

Has anyone tried building an Astaro firewall based on Intel's D945GCLF motherboard and Atom Processor combination (see Newegg ad here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342)?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a low power (80W) unit using this combination, in conjunction with a PCI-based NIC card.

WLK

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Looks like LogicSupply has the MSI IM-945GSE-A in limited stock now...

When I ranted about the chipset power earlier, I was referring to the boards available at that time... this one has the 945GSE which uses about 1/2 the power of the desktop chipsets...

Can anyone confirm if the Intel 82574L gigE NICs are well-supported in Astaro, with VLAN support?

Has anyone bought one of these MSI boards yet?

Barry
  • Just tried installing ASG on a system based on the Intel D945GCLF2 and the NIC was not found. I have an Intel gb nic in the available PCI slot and it was found. I do plan to try this confiuration out with a 4 port NIC to support dual WAN, LAN and DMZ (assuming there is a 4pot NIC supported by ASG). But for now, I am still trying to get a response from Astaro about support for the onboard NIC
  • There's various discussions about quad-port NICs at

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/26775

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/95/t/67002

Check the HCL before buying anything.

FWIW, I'm running an older Intel quad-port gigE NIC just fine. I believe it's PCI-X, but PCI-X is normally backwards-compatible with PCI.
    Intel frequently changes models and chips though, so again, check the HCL for the chip.

Barry
  • BTW, You can get an 8-port NetGear VLAN-capable gigE switch for $100, which is probably less than a quad-port NIC.
    I ordered one recently... it's the "Smart Switch" NetGear line that supports VLANs.

For Astaro to do VLAN-trunking, you'll need to get a NIC which has the VLAN column checked on the HCL.

Barry
  • re the discussions above about Realtek gigE NICs... Astaro has added a new Realtek driver in the current beta:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/26788

Barry
  • Looks like LogicSupply has the MSI IM-945GSE-A in limited stock now...

When I ranted about the chipset power earlier, I was referring to the boards available at that time... this one has the 945GSE which uses about 1/2 the power of the desktop chipsets...

Can anyone confirm if the Intel 82574L gigE NICs are well-supported in Astaro, with VLAN support?

The forthcoming Astaro 7.402 has the new Intel e1000e driver module which _should_ support these NICs; I'm going to be a guinea pig and try it out; I just ordered the board. (Logic Supply was out of stock so I ordered from Mini-Box.)

I also ordered a fanless Morex T3310 case from Logic Supply. Logic Supply doesn't seem to recommend that case for a 24x7 server, but Intel says that case is OK for the much higher-powered DualCore Atom d945gclf/d945gclf2 motherboards, so I'm going to try it.

Barry
  • The forthcoming Astaro 7.402 has the new Intel e1000e driver module which _should_ support these NICs; I'm going to be a guinea pig and try it out; Barry

Hi Barry,

the MSI IM-945GSE-A works well with the new Astaro Version. 
    Now i can run my ASG on this hardware without host-os and vmware-server.

Greetings 

Jens L.
  • Jens, that's great; but how did you get 7.402 running? Moved a hard drive?

I can't install the latest ISO (7.401) as it won't see the NICs.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Jens, that's great; but how did you get 7.402 running? Moved a hard drive?

I can't install the latest ISO (7.401) as it won't see the NICs.

Thanks,
    Barry

i used a pci-nic (3com 3C905) for the installation (kicked it after the install), updated to 7.402 and edited /etc/modules.conf (alias eth0 e1000e , alias eth1 e1000e) then assigned a temp ip to one of the nics, connect to this ip and did the interface configuration in webadmin...thats it

greetings 

Jens L.