This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mini-ITX Atom MB

Has anyone tried building an Astaro firewall based on Intel's D945GCLF motherboard and Atom Processor combination (see Newegg ad here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121342)?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a low power (80W) unit using this combination, in conjunction with a PCI-based NIC card.

WLK

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I guess you missed the thread here:
    http://astaro.org/showthread.php?t=22049&highlight=atom

My annoyances with the current Intel board are:
    1. even though the CPU is low power, the (desktop) chipset uses a LOT of power (22w, IIRC)

2. LAN is 10/100 only.

I think I ranted some more in the other thread.

If someone comes out with a lower-power chipset, and multi-NIC, including gigE, and it's not much more expensive, I'd get one.
    However, Linux support for the Realtek gigE NICs is extremely poor, so the ones Jetway, et al are using don't work in Astaro.

BTW, 80watts seems a very high target.
    My PIII-800 with 4NICs is maxing out at around 55W, and I still consider that to be too high.

Barry
  • I guess you missed the thread here:
    http://astaro.org/showthread.php?t=22049&highlight=atom

Thanks Barry, but I did see that thread.  I posted the NewEgg link because it appeared to be an Intel mb vice plouf's Jetway mb.  I noticed -- after posting, of course --that the last rater mentions a Realtek NIC driver problem with the current Linux builds (rendering the mb unusable as an Astaro firewall due to its single PCI slot unless, of course, you have a dual port NIC card -- $$$).

Thanks for the data on your PIII unit, didn't know they were that efficient.  I may have to pick up one of these ( https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure/products.php ) to measure mine.
  • I'd recommend the Intel NICs over the RealTek; they're more likely to work, and work better, and for $20USD it's worth it.

That said, I don't work for Astaro and don't know for sure if that Intel NIC is supported.
    If you wanted to do some research and find out what Linux driver and version it needs, that would probably make it clearer.

FWIW, I'm not too fond of the Atom boards right now; the CPU sounds great but Intel is only selling it with a desktop chipset which uses ~23watts alone. I've probably already ranted about this though.

Let us know if you get one of these. The price ($184 at LogicSupply, out of stock) looks good compared to a lot of the VIA stuff.

Barry
  • Looks like LogicSupply has the MSI IM-945GSE-A in limited stock now...

When I ranted about the chipset power earlier, I was referring to the boards available at that time... this one has the 945GSE which uses about 1/2 the power of the desktop chipsets...

Can anyone confirm if the Intel 82574L gigE NICs are well-supported in Astaro, with VLAN support?

Has anyone bought one of these MSI boards yet?

Barry
  • Just tried installing ASG on a system based on the Intel D945GCLF2 and the NIC was not found. I have an Intel gb nic in the available PCI slot and it was found. I do plan to try this confiuration out with a 4 port NIC to support dual WAN, LAN and DMZ (assuming there is a 4pot NIC supported by ASG). But for now, I am still trying to get a response from Astaro about support for the onboard NIC
  • There's various discussions about quad-port NICs at

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/26775

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/95/t/67002

Check the HCL before buying anything.

FWIW, I'm running an older Intel quad-port gigE NIC just fine. I believe it's PCI-X, but PCI-X is normally backwards-compatible with PCI.
    Intel frequently changes models and chips though, so again, check the HCL for the chip.

Barry
  • BTW, You can get an 8-port NetGear VLAN-capable gigE switch for $100, which is probably less than a quad-port NIC.
    I ordered one recently... it's the "Smart Switch" NetGear line that supports VLANs.

For Astaro to do VLAN-trunking, you'll need to get a NIC which has the VLAN column checked on the HCL.

Barry
  • re the discussions above about Realtek gigE NICs... Astaro has added a new Realtek driver in the current beta:
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/26788

Barry
  • Looks like LogicSupply has the MSI IM-945GSE-A in limited stock now...

When I ranted about the chipset power earlier, I was referring to the boards available at that time... this one has the 945GSE which uses about 1/2 the power of the desktop chipsets...

Can anyone confirm if the Intel 82574L gigE NICs are well-supported in Astaro, with VLAN support?

The forthcoming Astaro 7.402 has the new Intel e1000e driver module which _should_ support these NICs; I'm going to be a guinea pig and try it out; I just ordered the board. (Logic Supply was out of stock so I ordered from Mini-Box.)

I also ordered a fanless Morex T3310 case from Logic Supply. Logic Supply doesn't seem to recommend that case for a 24x7 server, but Intel says that case is OK for the much higher-powered DualCore Atom d945gclf/d945gclf2 motherboards, so I'm going to try it.

Barry
  • The forthcoming Astaro 7.402 has the new Intel e1000e driver module which _should_ support these NICs; I'm going to be a guinea pig and try it out; Barry

Hi Barry,

the MSI IM-945GSE-A works well with the new Astaro Version. 
    Now i can run my ASG on this hardware without host-os and vmware-server.

Greetings 

Jens L.
  • Jens, that's great; but how did you get 7.402 running? Moved a hard drive?

I can't install the latest ISO (7.401) as it won't see the NICs.

Thanks,
    Barry
Reply Children
  • Jens, that's great; but how did you get 7.402 running? Moved a hard drive?

I can't install the latest ISO (7.401) as it won't see the NICs.

Thanks,
    Barry

i used a pci-nic (3com 3C905) for the installation (kicked it after the install), updated to 7.402 and edited /etc/modules.conf (alias eth0 e1000e , alias eth1 e1000e) then assigned a temp ip to one of the nics, connect to this ip and did the interface configuration in webadmin...thats it

greetings 

Jens L.
  • OK... the case I got is too small to add a NIC.

I suppose I could plug a laptop drive into my other firewall and install 7.402 that way.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • OK... the case I got is too small to add a NIC.

I suppose I could plug a laptop drive into my other firewall and install 7.402 that way.

Thanks,
    Barry

Hi BarryG,

my case was also too small (JCP MI 102)... i disassembled it for the installation.

your solution will work too.
    with both solutions you have to manually edit the configuration (loading modules, assign an ip..)

please remember that chipset(ICH-7M) can only use 2GB RAM.

Greetings

Jens L.
  • Yep...

Astaro says a 7.402 ISO is coming soon.
    I can wait as I'm supposed to be packing anyways, and also I can't seem to find a 2.5" drive without any bad sectors [:(]

I'm only running 512mb on the new system for the moment, but I found some pairs of 1GB modules for only $6 total after rebate.
    I know I can only use one module, but buying a pair was cheaper than buying one.
    I missed a deal last weekend for a 2gb module for $9 after rebate [:P]

1GB should be plenty for me at home though... I don't use any of the SMTP/HTTP(S)/AV features at home and my RAM usage on my old system never goes over 400MB except during up2dates.

Barry
  • Hello BarryG,
    did you had any success with V7.402 and your MSI IM-945GSE-A ?

I followed several threads regarding Mini-ITX because i also want to build a small box for home use. I compared the discussed hardware, they are all so similar ...
    ... sorry for being inpatient, but i am really curious if you get it up and running !! [:D]
  • Hi, I was waiting for the new ISO (I'm downloading now), and I'm also in the middle of a move.

Someone else here posted that he got the 945GSE board running 7.402 by doing an install of 7.401 with a PCI NIC installed, and then after upgrading to 7.402 he was able to use the onboard NICs.

I'll try the new ISO this week, but as I've barely started unpacking, it could be several days.

Barry
  • Hi,

inspired by BarryG I decided to give the MSI IM-945GSE-A a try. It arrived yesterday and I quickly put it into a case and started the installation of 7.402. 

It looks good so far, both network devices have been detected correctly.

I´ll give you some more information the next days...

-- 
    Silent
  • Hi Silent,
    thank you for the (positive) feedback.
    I think i have to order one this weekend [:D]
  • Hi,

setup is complete, the administrative access via https works. It seems the NIC-Drivers work properly. I´ll connect the box to my DSL this weekend and will drop some words about the results.
  • After testing, could you please post some information regarding to
    - activated features
    - CPU load
    - Memory load
    - Internet throughput
    I would like to see the load with IPS, AntiVirus and activated proxys.
    Thank you.