This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Home UTM - Recommend specs for 1000Mbps fibre

Trying to hear from others who are obtaining the full upload/downloads through Home UTM and what average speeds were you getting?

Finding a 2 Core (older PC) with Intel NICs even though connected at 1GbE, seem to be limited around 100Mbps up and down.

Are people needing 4 cores to really maximise throughput?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Filtering/IPS is CPU intensive, so you will want something a lot more than what you have if you want to see more than 10% of your speed.  ;)  

I have the same issue with my setup currently, as I have a 50/10 and have never seen that with a UTM in the way, because I have a duo core CPU, so the most I ever see at one of my computers is about 7 MB download.  The filtering needs for CPU with this product is crazy, and frankly what prompts me to find alternatives at times.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Interesting - it's a Core 2 Duo but able to sustain 100Mbps up and down without any issues.

It's now a 300/300Mbps connection but the Home UTM even with IPS disabled doesn't appear to increase either.

• It won't just be IPS, but Web Filtering as well and some rules can also slow things down.  I didn't see any improvement with XG either, but I also didn't stay on that very long at all and went back to UTM.

I have not tried anything else out there like PFsense, but at one point did have a nice Cisco PIX and I never saw slowdowns like I do with UTM filtering.

• Oh thanks - what other modules/rules are you referring to? Most are pretty standard out of the box config.

The Core 2 Duo is still able to handle 100/100 Mbps up and down so that's actually alright - I'm at the stage of determining if the CPU is constrained, running the cli speedtest only triggers both CPU to around 20-25% utilised.

• I should be more specific - snort rules.  Like Alan said below, snort by default is single core, and the more connections you have the less efficient this can run and slow down (one core per session).  You can enable multiple cores with a single line command in SSH/Putty into the UTM to open up the core usage.  

Here is a link to a post that has good information about this: Cores or Clock speed important in a CPU for IPS (snort) with a 1GBPS Internet Bandwith? - General Discussion - UTM Firewall - Sophos Community

Reply Children
No Data