This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Home UTM - Recommend specs for 1000Mbps fibre

Trying to hear from others who are obtaining the full upload/downloads through Home UTM and what average speeds were you getting?

Finding a 2 Core (older PC) with Intel NICs even though connected at 1GbE, seem to be limited around 100Mbps up and down.

Are people needing 4 cores to really maximise throughput?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Filtering/IPS is CPU intensive, so you will want something a lot more than what you have if you want to see more than 10% of your speed.  ;)  

I have the same issue with my setup currently, as I have a 50/10 and have never seen that with a UTM in the way, because I have a duo core CPU, so the most I ever see at one of my computers is about 7 MB download.  The filtering needs for CPU with this product is crazy, and frankly what prompts me to find alternatives at times.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Interesting - it's a Core 2 Duo but able to sustain 100Mbps up and down without any issues.

It's now a 300/300Mbps connection but the Home UTM even with IPS disabled doesn't appear to increase either.

• It won't just be IPS, but Web Filtering as well and some rules can also slow things down.  I didn't see any improvement with XG either, but I also didn't stay on that very long at all and went back to UTM.

I have not tried anything else out there like PFsense, but at one point did have a nice Cisco PIX and I never saw slowdowns like I do with UTM filtering.

• It won't just be IPS, but Web Filtering as well and some rules can also slow things down.  I didn't see any improvement with XG either, but I also didn't stay on that very long at all and went back to UTM.

I have not tried anything else out there like PFsense, but at one point did have a nice Cisco PIX and I never saw slowdowns like I do with UTM filtering.

Children