This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Import a Backup of UTM 9 from an SG110/120 onto a XG115

Hello,

I have an old SG110/120 with UTM 9 (running a home license on it) and recently did a slight hardware upgrade to an XG115.  As I understand, I can run the same version (9.605-1) of UTM 9 on this XG115 (also using a home license).  Please correct me if I'm wrong here. So, my question is, can I import a backup of my SG110 onto a fresh XG115? And can I use the same license?

Thanks in advance for your response.

PJ

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • yes, you can use backup incl. License at XG115 Hardware.

But you have to image this device as "SG-software appliance".

Home licenses don#t work with SG hardware (by theory)

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• You can’t use the UTM backup file on XG system.

you can install an UTM version on the XG device, that mean you run UTM software. Btw XG and SG hardware are nearly identical. It is the system that runs on it what makes the difference.

best regards 

Alex

-

• Hi PJ,

I don't recommend buying Sophos appliances for home use.  They are underpowered for the bandwidth you probably can get.  You likely can sell that XG115 for more than you will spend buying a new box with at least a dual core 3+GHz processor and 8GB of RAM.  Check the official UTM HCL and the last two or three pages of *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).  If you do want to do XG instead of UTM, you will need to check the limitations of the XG home-use license.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks, Bob.

I think I can give it a shot. I have some equipment that I may be able to use.

I appreciate all the responses here!

PJ