This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

!! A few questions I can't find via a google or forum search - Software install on ASG 525 server hardware !!

Hi all.

I was a beta tester in the very early days and I have been running the ASG at home since then with 2 VDSL connections, 1 external 4g modem and a guest interface connected to a dusty old Belkin access point.

I have been very ill for many years with spinal and sciatic nerve issues. I even have a dedicated parking space at RNOH Stanmore. [:S]

About a year ago I spotted 2 original Astaro 525 rackmount servers. Hardware wise they were maxed out with all the hardware including all four GBIC modules 4 gig of ram etc.

Due to my health I have only just had the chance to fire them up and have a decent play. They were loaded with the base software and had obviously been factory reset. I know my licence is for software not hardware so I loaded the software ASG oops I mean Sophos utm [:D] with a usb dvd rom drive. Everything went through with no problems installation wise. I was even able to load my config from my old server I built years ago for the job. I have the following questions / problems and I am hoping you would all be nice enough to help me out [:)]

1. I recall a post a while back that via the console described a way to tell the software install it was on Astaro hardware to take advantage of all the optimisation and get the front display working ect. I thought I actually posted on the thread but I can't find it. It may have been in the beta testers forum section. I have the server up and running but I can only bring up eth0 and eth1. All the other interfaces are listed and I can select them but the link wont come up, the link led does not even light. I had six interfaces up on my old server with no problem. It may be my config but I don't think so.

2. I have seen mention of the motherboard in the 525 being able to support more than 4GB of ram. It appears to be a proprietor motherboard as I have never seen a dual Xeon server that does not have seperate ram slots for each processor chanel. This board has two processors and 4 central ram slots. Each slot with 1GB of ram installed. The system was sold as "maxed out". Is anyone able to confirm this. I cant see why 4 larger sticks of the same speed and ECC enabled would not work unless its a bios limitation. My old server was running the 64 bit version and 16gb of RAM so its not a software limitation.

3. I cannot understand why only eth0 and eth1 will come up. They are detected during install, show up in the interfaces list, can be assigned an ip address and my licence has failover and cluster support enabled. I can switch the interface on and it shows in the log's with no errors that I can see. I had it working on my old build as it was my beta testing rig for the early ASG releases. When a cable (crossover or straight through) to a switch the link LED does not light at the switch or on the ASG below the socket. I cant get my head around this one ! I can only think its my config that is the problem so I will try a factory reset and fresh config this evening. Has anyone hit this issue before ? I am wondering if the HA interface (eth3) is reserved and that is screwing things up ???

4. A slight repeat of question 1 but while typing this I have a niggling thought in the back of my mind that the front LCD and buttons are a no go. I hope someone tells me I am wrong. I am wondering if its proprietary hardware or a card that simply plugs into the parallel or serial bus. I can always hardwire the front panel buttons as a power and reset but if that LCD screen could be dragged back into life that would be fantastic [H] [:D] [:)] [:P]           !!!

Any help at all would be totally and absolutely fantastic [Y]

Thanks for taking the time to read this and your much anticipated assistance.

Warmest regards.

Stuart.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi All.

After reading the threads posted after this one I think I can sort out the interface issue. Even if I have to unplug them, run setup and then plug them back in one by one.

I am still stuck however on activating the display on the front panel as well as receiving power alarms ect. I am sure I did it when I first got the servers. I think it may have been Scott that gave me a console command to run followed by a reboot but that could be old age creeping up on me [:D]

Has anyone ever managed to get the front panel LCD to work and upgraded the ram on a 525 ?

Thanks all.

Stuart.

!! I used to think I was indecisive but now I am not so sure !!

• Hi All.

After reading the threads posted after this one I think I can sort out the interface issue. Even if I have to unplug them, run setup and then plug them back in one by one.

I am still stuck however on activating the display on the front panel as well as receiving power alarms ect. I am sure I did it when I first got the servers. I think it may have been Scott that gave me a console command to run followed by a reboot but that could be old age creeping up on me [:D]

Has anyone ever managed to get the front panel LCD to work and upgraded the ram on a 525 ?

Thanks all.

Stuart.

!! I used to think I was indecisive but now I am not so sure !!

Children