This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware recommendation for UTM Home Edition

Hello, I'm looking for a small dual Ethernet machine on which to run Sophos UTM Home Edition. Any recommendations?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Yes, and you could get a better performance adopint Celeron cpu ...
    We have a local distributor in Italy but I think this brand is available in other countries. :-)
  • For home edition, what you were pricing out is probably overkill.  Heck, I am only running a Pentium 4 HT with 4 Gigs of RAM with a 20 Mbps Cable pipe.  

Yeah, I would try to stay away from Realteks if you can but I currently use them and after some tweaking, they are working more as they should.
  • I used the APU board with 4GB of Memory from pcengines.ch

PC Engines apu system boards

- dual core 1GHz CPU, 64bit setup possible, 4GB RAM
    - 3x GigE NIC onboard
    - separate mSATA 128GB SSD ordered

First test results:
    - good performance - full speed with my 125/10Mbps cable connection @ 50% CPU (tested with download of large file and speedtest)
    - 33% of RAM in use
    - Firewall with 27 rules and country blocking, NAT, thread detection, SMTP proxy, Webserver protection, DMZ in use
    - Good performance/price (around CHF260.- for all parts)

- ...but first installation is a little bit tricky as the board has no Video output, but is possible
  • I take it you have the IPS disabled?

Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to those speeds on such a slow CPU.

Barry
  • I just built a inexpensive Sophos with the following.
    Price: (Bensbargains.net $35) watch for specials - Newegg.com
    CS Elitegroup ECS AMD E1-2100 Dual Core Processor Mini ITX DDR3 1333 Motherboard KBN-I/2100 (1.1) 

Price: (Bensbargains.net $40) watch for specials - $40 rebate
    Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM - Blue (HX313C9FK2/8)

Price: (Newegg.com $30) - After $10 mail-in rebate
    LOGISYS Computer CS6801BK Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply

Price: (eBay $25) 
    Sun / Intel 371-0905-03 Dual-Port 2-Port GIGABIT Ethernet PCI-E Low-Profile

Price: (eBay $90)
    Astaro AP30 Access Point (Controlled by Sophos UTM)

Used 120GB SSD Laptop Hard drive (Free)
    ===============================
    $220 (After Rebates)

Everything works really well. I have not had any issues with the firewall or AP.
  • Tested successfully this compact network appliance:

NA342 - Fanless Desktop Network Appliance Platform with Atom

Several variant available ...

I know this thread is old but that NA342 looks very interesting, Where did you buy it from? I don't see any sellers or a way to purchase it on the internet.

Thanks
  • ooh now that is nice...hrmmmm

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I take it you have the IPS disabled?

Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere close to those speeds on such a slow CPU.

Barry

Hi Barry,
    I see all this talk about needing to use a Core i3, i5, i7 and I don't understand y? I am using a Atom D525 and my CPU and memory is always below 50% and I get the full speed of my internet 150/150 with IPS disabled but enable IPS and my internet speeds drop allot but even with IPS enabled my memory and CPU is always less then 50% so my question is will a bigger CPU really help me retain my internet speeds of 150/150? and if yes how and y would it help if I am not maxing out my resources on my D525??

Thanks
  • Hi Barry,
    I see all this talk about needing to use a Core i3, i5, i7 and I don't understand y? I am using a Atom D525 and my CPU and memory is always below 50% and I get the full speed of my internet 150/150 with IPS disabled but enable IPS and my internet speeds drop allot but even with IPS enabled my memory and CPU is always less then 50% so my question is will a bigger CPU really help me retain my internet speeds of 150/150? and if yes how and y would it help if I am not maxing out my resources on my D525??

Thanks

Look for my username and snort

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Look for my username and snort

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Now I am more confused then when I started[:(] I have a 150/150MB FiOs connection and I want to get the best performance I can get using Sophos then what the best CPU I should get with out over spec? I want all the security enabled including IPS. This will be for around 5-10 users at any given time and I don't want my bandwidth to be cut in half when using IPS. Would a Celeron J1900 be a good choice over an Atom D525 or should it be something other

Thank you.....