This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[NotaBug] SSH Access first Configuration - Still "Acces denied"

Hello everyone,

just had an interesting phenomenon - perhaps a bug? I just started my very first and initial configuration for the SSH access. Of course, I configured the password for the "loginuser" along with the password for "root" and than clicked to save. Well, I used the same password "123" for both users, just for the first test. The saving worked, both passwords accepted, no errors.

But via the login process over SSH, I only got the message "Access denied" when I tiped in the password. Same problem all the time, for every password-changes - everytime together for "loginuser" and "root". Reboot didn't help.

After changing the password only for "loginuser", then saving and afterwards changing the password only for "root" with saving again, I could successfully log in to the SSH session. [:D]

Hope this helps someone ...

Btw. a bug tracker doesn't exist, does it? [:S]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I personally haven't had this issue, I basically type in the same password for both loginuser and root at the same time and it works.

Perhaps you had capslock on or numlock off?
  • Hi, Iced.  I marked this as NotaBug.  The preferred method for SSH is to use Putty along with an RSA key.  Check out the KnowledgeBase article about it.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA

Access denied via SSH if both Root and Loginuser password are set at the same time in the GUI.

Change them individually and things work...

RSA advice not withstanding, this appears to be a big, as the button says "Set Specified Passwords" clearly indicating a plural context [:)]

Not only that... in 9.307 I am having issues with some passwords working and others not. 

Not sure if it is a length issue, non alpha issue or what. I played around a bit and could not find a pattern, but do know that several passwords I have tried are accepted at the GUI and saved, but not useable for login to SSH. Maybe somebody needs to at least look at the form validation vs the SSH login code.
  • This is fixed in 9.307.

Cheers -Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • This bug is NOT fixed. I actually just went through this bug and with the method above doing 1 password at a time I recovered SSH access. I could not access the SSH AT ALL unless I submitted both passwords 1 at a time
  • I currently cannot access the console no matter what I try. I am using putty and I have enabled SSH and tried setting the root and loginuser passwords at the same time and separately, trying to login each time, but I just get access denied. Is there anyway to recover this? Thanks

Update: I was able to login by generating a public/private key. After that I user passwd and sudo passwd to set the root password. The password was changed successfully so I logged off and in the webAdmin I disabled key login and set it to normal password login. When I tried to ssh in again using the reset password I got access denied.
  • Hi, you cannnot SSH in as 'root', you must always use 'loginuser'.

Barry
  • I always use an SSH key and select "allow root access but only with SSH key."  Going in as loginuser is only good for grepping a specific log file or today's logs.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I can confirm that the bug is still present in 9.312-6.

I was unable to set both root and loginuser the same time. One after the other worked perfect...