This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

export hosts definitions list

Is there anyway to export the hosts definitions list?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The DHCP server log will contain all of the IPs it has assigned.  The 'Management >> Licensing' 'IP Addresses' tab will tell you which IPs have been active in the last week.  The 'IPv4 Lease Table' tab in 'Network Services >> DHCP' will tell you which DHCP leases are active or were recently active.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I had the same question: "Is there anyway to export the hosts definitions list?", but in my case it was for backup porpuses (I know there is the options to backup configuration in UTM, but not for only hosts entries). If there are anyway to do so I would be happy to know Bob. 

• Olá Antonio and welcome to the UTM Community!

It's not clear to me what you're hoping to gain.  Do you only want a spreadsheet of host definitions and the related IP for each?  You can generate a list of names of the hosts and then the related IPs with the following two commands:

cc get_objects network host |grep \'name\'
    cc get_objects network host |grep \'address\'

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Bob, those commands help me, but what I want to achieve is to backup all hosts definitions saved in UTM, including their IP addresses, Name, MAC adresses, Hostname, IPv4 DHCP and DNS and details for each host. I know those information is in the ABF BackUp file, but in UTM we know that there is no otion to BackUp only the host information (this question is largely discussed in this forum). So, I hope I was clear enough, if you could help I will be glad.

• Bob, I should say that I want to backup and RESTORE.

• What is the purpose of being able to backup and restore hosts, Antonio?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I want the backup of the hosts to be done separately, in that way I could restore that backup also separately, in case of a problem, for example if I need to install a second UTM with all configurations different from the first one (Network, Firewall, NAT and so on), and want to restore the same hosts to it, this function would be useful. But for now it is for backup purposes, as we have already experienced cases of losing host records on the UTM after upgrades. Some solutions already have this option, like PfSense Firewall.

• Not only me, but many other users who are here in the forum have the same question.

• "if I need to install a second UTM with all configurations different from the first one (Network, Firewall, NAT and so on), and want to restore the same hosts to it"

you might want to consider the free UTM Manager package, Antonio.  You could configure only network objects (Networks, Hosts, DNS Hosts, DNS Groups, etc.) on it.  Then, simply configure the UTM to use the configurations from the UTM Manager.  For future additions, if you want an object to appear in every UTM attached o the UTM Manager, add the object to the Manager.  If it should be unique to one device, configure on that device.

"we have already experienced cases of losing host records on the UTM after upgrades"

I've not seen this particular issue, but there has always been a danger of an Up2Date "breaking" a configuration.  My guess is that in fewer than 1 in 1000 installations, the Up2Date process runs into a particular combination that causes a problem. Most of the time, just restoring the backup made automatically before the Up2Dates were applied will fix any issues.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Glad for the replies, very useful, but there is any way to backup and restore hosts definitions in UTM CLI?

• BAlfson said:

What is the purpose of being able to backup and restore hosts, Antonio?

Cheers - Bob

I have also wished for this because after many attempts to figure out significant issues with my UTM (configuration, reinstallation, replacing hardware, etc.), I would like to be able to rule out the possibility of my rules causing the problem.  However, it's all or nothing, with a lot of time invested in defining networks, it would be more palatable to only re-create the security rules without needing to manually re-enter all of the host definitions (since this requires MAC knowledge for static leasing).

If we could selectively restore portions of a backup, that would probably be just as well (for my own purposes).

Thanks!

Sam

• BAlfson said:

What is the purpose of being able to backup and restore hosts, Antonio?

Cheers - Bob

I have also wished for this because after many attempts to figure out significant issues with my UTM (configuration, reinstallation, replacing hardware, etc.), I would like to be able to rule out the possibility of my rules causing the problem.  However, it's all or nothing, with a lot of time invested in defining networks, it would be more palatable to only re-create the security rules without needing to manually re-enter all of the host definitions (since this requires MAC knowledge for static leasing).

If we could selectively restore portions of a backup, that would probably be just as well (for my own purposes).

Thanks!

Sam

Children
  • I recently went through something where a selective restore might of been helpful.

Downgraded from 9.510-4 to 9.509-3.  Unfortunately a number of changes were made after installing the upgrade.

The downgrade process involved running both side by side then manually recreating the changes to the older from the newer version. It was a time consuming process with lots of alt-tabbing between browser tabs.

I can see how a selective restore process can be complicated.  Nearly all elements of other modules rely on base network/service definitions.  I suppose if a firewall rule was restored then its associated objects would also be restored/overwritten if they didn't/did exist.