This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos SG 105w Rev.2 Recovery

Hello, community

I am new to the Sohos device and trying to help a friend recover his device. He had a power outage/surge and after that, the device has been having issues. (He was on a UPS/surge suppressor). Note: The device has a manufacture date of April 2016 so I understand it may actually be discontinued but I did not look it up yet.

Symptoms: 

• No longer broadcasting its WiFI SSID for connectivity
  • connectivity on the LAN appears dead (I set my PC for 192.168.0.77 with the gateway of 192.168.0.1 and attempted the https connection to port 4444)
  • following reset instructions (Push the rest button wait 2-3 seconds push it again and wait for the flashing light.
  • I tried hooking up an external CD drive to the USB port and attached a VGA monitor.  No Video on the monitor, and it did not seem to spin the CD on restart

Please let me know if I am missing anything or have taken a misstep.  At this point, I think that I have a doorstop in this device and have to help him get a different device. Sadly he worked with a different tech support team before I even got to see the device and it may have already been bricked.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

does the unit run utm or XG software?
    please try removing the power for about 5 minutes. Connect a keyboard and monitor to the XG, then power it up.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Undetermined at this point. The owner was provided this device years back and has no clue what it is or how it works. “I plug it in it does it’s thing. Now it does not work.” That is what I get regarding the device.

I am working on it to answer all those questions. It was offline for 30 minutes before I hooked up a VGA monitor. I just did not attach a keyboard at the time. I will try again 

-.-

Leif Ericksen 

• Undetermined at this point. The owner was provided this device years back and has no clue what it is or how it works. “I plug it in it does it’s thing. Now it does not work.” That is what I get regarding the device.

I am working on it to answer all those questions. It was offline for 30 minutes before I hooked up a VGA monitor. I just did not attach a keyboard at the time. I will try again 

-.-

Leif Ericksen 

Children
  • Hey LE - welcome to the UTM Community!

If you don't see anything on the monitor, I'd say the device was toasted.  If the customer has a paid subscription, the SG is under warranty.

Cheers - Bob
    PS You're 45 miles SW of me on I-44.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Unfortunately to him, it is just a device he was handed and he was told: "use this" several years ago and it followed him as he moved around. I am helping him learn what it is all about and know how to use it effectively.