This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to...

For a while now I have been scouring the interwebs for information on the best ways to configure various features on the UTM, but the majority of what I found is either very old or has conflicting information/suggestions.
Current "How To" or "Step-By-Step" documents for the UTM may or may not exist, but if they do, they are not easy to find.
There are some documents related to the XG platform, but I don't really want to go down that path if I don't have to. The logic used in the UTM suits me better.

The last time that I built and configured a UTM from scratch was a very long time ago.
How my current UTM is configured now seems to work fine, but my memory of of exactly what I did and why I did it definitely eludes me.
I am no expert when it comes to this UTM, but I am reasonably familiar with it, as I have been using this platform since Astaro v3.

I am currently in the process of doing a clean install and configuration and I would like to incorporate the current best practices for my new home environment.
That environment basically revolves around a 2019 Server DC and Exchange 2019 mail server. There are a few workstations and laptops and the intent is to have email access from our phones and the web. There is also a local web server.
I have 4 VLANS configured... LAN,WAN,DMZ and VOIP. The UTM also has a 5th NIC installed, but it's not assigned at this time.

Over the years Bob (@BAlfson) has written numerous "guides", which have definitely been helpful, but I am quite surprised that there are not any (that I could find) recognized documents for some of the more basic functions that might be used in a firewall.

There is a specific area on this forum for such documents (Recommended Reads) but it does not contain basic things like:

• DNS configuration with AD
  • Basic configuration for the SMTP proxy to an internal mail server, or
  • WAF configuration with Exchange

I have found documents on integrating AD with the UTM, but for me I don't think that is really necessary, as there are only a very limited amount of household users and they do not need to have access to the UTM or the User Portal.
As I understand it, integrating the UTM with AD is only really useful if you require the single sign-on functionality, which I don't. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So... what I am looking for is guidance and/or suggestions on configuring my new UTM, or links to documentation that is actually current and relevant to UTM 9.7x

Thanks in advance...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
No Data