This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to...

For a while now I have been scouring the interwebs for information on the best ways to configure various features on the UTM, but the majority of what I found is either very old or has conflicting information/suggestions.
Current "How To" or "Step-By-Step" documents for the UTM may or may not exist, but if they do, they are not easy to find.
There are some documents related to the XG platform, but I don't really want to go down that path if I don't have to. The logic used in the UTM suits me better.

The last time that I built and configured a UTM from scratch was a very long time ago.
How my current UTM is configured now seems to work fine, but my memory of of exactly what I did and why I did it definitely eludes me.
I am no expert when it comes to this UTM, but I am reasonably familiar with it, as I have been using this platform since Astaro v3.

I am currently in the process of doing a clean install and configuration and I would like to incorporate the current best practices for my new home environment.
That environment basically revolves around a 2019 Server DC and Exchange 2019 mail server. There are a few workstations and laptops and the intent is to have email access from our phones and the web. There is also a local web server.
I have 4 VLANS configured... LAN,WAN,DMZ and VOIP. The UTM also has a 5th NIC installed, but it's not assigned at this time.

Over the years Bob (@BAlfson) has written numerous "guides", which have definitely been helpful, but I am quite surprised that there are not any (that I could find) recognized documents for some of the more basic functions that might be used in a firewall.

There is a specific area on this forum for such documents (Recommended Reads) but it does not contain basic things like:

• DNS configuration with AD
  • Basic configuration for the SMTP proxy to an internal mail server, or
  • WAF configuration with Exchange

I have found documents on integrating AD with the UTM, but for me I don't think that is really necessary, as there are only a very limited amount of household users and they do not need to have access to the UTM or the User Portal.
As I understand it, integrating the UTM with AD is only really useful if you require the single sign-on functionality, which I don't. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So... what I am looking for is guidance and/or suggestions on configuring my new UTM, or links to documentation that is actually current and relevant to UTM 9.7x

Thanks in advance...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.