This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9 How to restrict bandwidth to save data quota

Hi All. 

I'm new to this forum. I have installed UTM 9 to a Mini PC with an atom 1.8 processor with 4 GB memory and looks it's ok. please let me know the best spect for the UTM 9 home version which is installed on a Desktop.

My question is how can I restrict the bandwidth usage via this UTM 9. i have 50GB quota from my ISP and my kids are watching youtube kids for 2-4 hours daily and in most of the cases, the quota will be finished before and month end.

I have already configured QOS on this and select 64Kb on bandwidth throttling. but it seems not a correct method. can someone help me to do this, please

Thank you 

Chirath

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello Chirath,

Thank you for contacting the Sophos Community!

For youtube try the following:

1.- Go to Interfaces & Routing >> QoS >> Status, and enable for your LAN and WAN interface (for LAN I mean the Port where the computer is connecting from)

2.- G to traffic selectors >> New Traffic Selector >> Name = Youtube, Selector type = Application Selector, Source = Any, Destination = Any, Control by = Applications >> Control this applications (click on the yellow folder and search for Youtube) >> Save

3.- Go to Download Throttling >> New download throttling Name = Youtube_throttling, Interface, LAN would be grayed out, Postion = Top, Limit, set the limit on kbit/s  Limit, = shared >> Traffic Selector = Youtube. >> Save.

You can complement this, by also using quotas and only allow youtube for X amount of hours a day or from specific times of the day!

Regards,

Emmanuel (EmmoSophos)
    Technical Team Lead, Global Community Support
    Sophos Support VideosProduct Documentation  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.
  • Hello Chirath,

there has been a very good article on this matter together with some examples on a Sophos UTM from Etienne Liebetrau

https://www.fastvue.co/sophos/blog/limit-youtube-traffic-sophos-utm-qos/

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• හලෝ Chirath and welcome to the UTM Community!

Emmanuel and Philipp have give you the best answers.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi All

Thank you for all you  for your valuable answer. today i configured this setup and let the kids to browse . so i will monitor for few days and see how it works. 

thank again

Chirath