This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setup UTM 9 Home Edition advise

Hi all,

I have a fanless mini PC running UTM 9.6

In my Home enviroment, I want to use this behind my router, current basic setup shown below

The new setup should be something like this:

The UTM was installed with the basic settings, so no tweaking is done yet.

When setting my network up as shown in the second picture I could not connect to the internet from behind the UTM, internal connection is no issue.

When connecting a device to the Router, I had, of course, internet connection but could not connect to anything behind the devices.

So my question, what i'm doing wrong or where should I look.

thankx and have a happy new year!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Since in your "desired" drawing you have 192.168.1.0 network on both sides of the UTM (assuming both are 192.168.1.0/24) you can only use the UTM in ful bridge mode.

I don't have too much experience with a bridged setup, but I imagine you must still create firewall rules allowing traffic from 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.0 in order for traffic to be able to flow through the UTM. 

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Looks like your subnets are having an issue, bit of a conflict going on there.

I would first use two separate subnets, say 192.168.1.0 & 192.168.2.0.

but having this sort of configuration  may involve double natting, which can be a pain to manage and maintain.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• If apijnappels & Argo haven't solved your issue, tell us what you learn from doing #1 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • This was indeed the issue, when putting the router in a different subnet al works fine.

Thanks for the help guys.