This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What Are Some Use-Cases For Dedicated IP Address?

Just recently I came to the realization that a Dedicated IP is very useful if you are a website owner (for restricted access), a gamer (in case of hosting dedicated servers), a community person (who's participates in different communities). Besides these, what other use-cases do you think dedicated IP can be beneficial? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • In the business environment, if you publish services, you have static IP addresses anyway. These are also not shared. What one needs such a thing for as a private user does not open up to me immediately, because one hardly operates a mail server in such a way.

By the way, these statements only apply to IPv4. And a secure access to web pages I would realize with client or user certificates.

Mainly this serves the sales promotion for the product VPN.

But this is only my personal opinion.

Best

Alex

-

• Clients need to find servers, so servers need fixed IP addresses.

Remote access is a service, so if you want to enable a SSL Client VPN capability, UTM needs a fixed address for offering that service.

Home users are generally offered only dynamic IP addresses, because the ISP assumes that you are only performing client functions.   Generally, if you want a fixed address, you have to switch to a business account.   Many ISPs block port 25 on dynamic IP addresses, and possibly other ports as well, to enforce this policy.

Dynamic DNS provides some workarounds to this, but the principle remains.   For example, email RBLs will blacklist dynamic IPs on the assumption that if a dynamic IP is running a mail server, it is probably an infected machine.

Business that are offering any server function to the internet will buy a fixed IP.   

• Hey Douglas,

on the fly i also thought it was about dynamic vs. static.
    But this is a shared IP address. ISP let customers partly via NAT into the Internet, I think this is meant.

Best
    Alex

-