This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPsec VPN: best policy for encryption?

Hi guys , I have implemented an IPsec VPN between an SG230 v2 appliance and a SG115 v3 appliance. RDP and HTTP protocol are a little bit slower, outside the VPN they are much faster

I'm using 3DES policy, do you suggest a policy change?

I also have IPS enabled for Internal Network, all Anti-DoS settings enabled (TCP SYN Flood, UPD Flood, ICMP Flood)

Many thanks!

Ciao, Marco

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Ciao Marco,

Agreed with Doug, but I prefer AES 128 PFS to 256 as I read somewhere 1-to-2 years ago that there's a vulnerability in AES 256 - I don't remember where I saw that, so if anyone else can point us at that or at another article that debunks the one I saw, I'd be glad to hear of it.

3DES is not only not that secure, but it's also more resource intensive than AES.

Depending on the processors, you might be able to use Intel's hardware acceleration by selecting AES 128 GCM:

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I did not mention the PFS setting in my first post, but it is also important.

My current understanding is that DH groups 1-5 are considered broken, I think because of increases in processor speed for brute force attacks.   So choose DH 14 or higher.

Reply Children
No Data