This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot obtain WAN connection on UTM using Virgin Media Modem Mode?

Hi there, 

Very new to Sophos, have been trying to setup Sophos UTM with a Virgin Media Router (hitron business hub) in modem mode, coming from using Untangle.

Running the setup wizard see's both NICs on a Dell Optiplex 980, internal lan configures fine to 192.168.1.1 with DHCP. The wizard then allows the 2nd NIC to be allocated for WAN, Standard Ethernet Port and Dynamic DHCP.

When the setup completes, all I can see and access is the LAN Nic Internal, under what should be the WAN Nic it states unused 

Please could someone kindly advise if I am missing step post wizard setup?

Thank you 

Shaz

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Shaz and welcome to the UTM Community!

I usually configure the WAN connection after the installation wizard.  If it wasn't used in spite of the Wizard asking you to configure it, then maybe the other NIC isn't supported.  Check #7 in Rulz and the official HCL in the KnowledgeBase.

Please show us a picture of the Edit of the External Interface if there is one already defined.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob, thank you very much for your time & kindness to advise

I appreciate your directing me to the rules. I did have a realtek NIC PCI, the ibuilt being Intel. I decided to change the realtek to an intel and retry.

I have been using Untangle as router, with Virgin Media router in model modem. Under untangle it is also set as auto dhcp and picks up all the WAN settings automatically, gateway etc

If choose auto dchp for internet under UTM, it doesn't seem to pick up the settings. I did some research followed all the steps in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAY5y9NzMqA

So I entered all the rules shown for masquerading etc, and in addition I manually entered & tried WAN settings I could see under untangle. 

It appears to me that the internet is present but for some reason, despite following the steps cannot pass through to the internal nic. Reading around I found some posts to do with users with Virgin Media in modem mode, it wasn't clear to me if they were successful either. It of course due to my lack of experience and knowledge I am very new to Sophos.

Any advice and assistance would be much appreciated

Thank you

Shaz

• It's unrelated to your question, Shaz, but you need to change the range on your DHCP server.  The range should not overlap with any fixed IPs that are assigned in the UTM or on internal devices.

Let's see if we can find a clue in the logs:

1. Disable the WAN interface.
    2. Start the Configuration daemon Live Log.
    3. After the log starts to show lines, enable the WAN interface.
    4. Find the line that contains "External (Address)" and show us that line with the next 20.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA