This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos - Reconnect for WAN via command line?

Hello,

Every now and then I get an issue where by my Sophos UTM's WAN connection (DSL) says connected but none of the workstations on my LAN can access the internet, hit reconnect and it's away, mainly happens after a start of the UTM (and the VMWare device it is running on).

My question is there a way to send a command to the Sophos UTM from say a workstation on the LAN to request it reconnect the LAN link as per the button in the Sophos UTM Web portal?

thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Tom,

You can do it from the CC commands but I will not recommend that to you. I will suggest, place an intermediate non-manageable switch between the UTM and the DSL router, let us know if that help. 

Thanks,

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Interesting solution there Sachingurung. I will be honest, probably not the path I want to go down, to have another piece of switching hardware using power in between the modem and the UTM seems a bit of a work around. I would be interested to know the theory behind that solution though and why the UTM might need this?

The CC commands solution sounds like it will do what I need, can you detail that for me?

What are the commands?

and how/where can these be executed from e.g. commandline?

thanks

• Sachin's suggestion is because there's sometimes a problem with auto-negotiation between the NIC in the UTM and the one in the modem.  If you can set the DSL modem to a fixed speed&duplex setting, you can do the same in WebAdmin on the 'Hardware' tab of 'Interfaces'.  Otherwise, you're down to the switch or #7.8 in Rulz.

For the cc approach, you need to know the REF_ of the Interface.  Assuming it's name is "External," the command to find that is:

cc get_object_by_name interface ethernet 'External'|grep \'ref\'

Assuming that you learn that it's REF_IntEthExternal, disable/enable the Interface with:

cc change_object REF_IntEthExternal status 0;cc change_object REF_IntEthExternal status 1

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA