This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM 9 Captive Portal and Authentication Timeout

We are experiencing an issue at 2 separate sites with the Sophos Captive Portal. At both sites, students connect their devices to a Ruckus wireless network and are presented with the Sophos captive portal in order to authenticate. The students have to re-authenticate after 15 minutes at Site A and after 30 minutes at Site B. The response from Sophos South Africa local support is, "Sophos advised there is no default timeout option for captive portal UTM 9. Feel free to contact me should you need any further assistance." 

I've escalated this to Sophos international support 2 weeks ago. Waiting... zzzz

*** Sophos SG430 with Firmware version: 9.509-3 ***

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Flo, that's not reasonable.  The customer should not be expected to increase the Transparent Web Proxy authentication timeout to manage Captive Portal usage.  I could accept that this is a failure to design, but it's not something a reasonable person would have designed.  I bet the developers and testers never waited to see if/when the Captive Portal would time out.  The only reasonable Captive Portal timeout is the 'Session expires' setting with "Backend authentication."

Instead of asking us to create a Feature Request to fix a failure to design, Sophos should have a policy to get things like this in the queue immediately.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey Bob,

Thanks for your feedback and assistance with this issue. I'd be happy to assist in facilitating a conversation to discuss the matter of helping improve the experience and product for our users. I'll reach out to you to follow up further.

Best,

Flo

Florentino
    Director, Global Community & Digital Support

Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation@SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the 'Verify Answer' button.
    The Award-winning Home of Sophos Support Videos! - Visit Sophos Techvids