Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

ASG Home Network diagram

Can anyone please tell me if I can find a network diagram somewhere? I have a fritzbox and about 10 devices that connect to the internet. 6 of these devices are connected to the the fritzbox wlan. I need a diagram to know how to connect the appliance to the fritzbox to ensure that all requests (wired and wireless) are going thru the ASG.

thanks in advance

aussie29
  • HI aussie29

You can try Online Diagram Software and Flowchart Software - Gliffy

[:)]

thanks, what I meant is a diagram of where  the appliance is installed in the network. Mainly how will the wireless network be filtered and monitored when the wireless is managed by the fritzbox?

cheers

aussie29
  • Hi, how about creating a diagram of how it is now, and a description of what you to achieve, and we can advise?

Barry
  • Hi, how about creating a diagram of how it is now, and a description of what you to achieve, and we can advise?

Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for your help. By now I am getting excited after a couple of hours checking what this powerful appliance can do. 

I have the following Astaro VM installed on a server (my text based diagram) [:D]: 

Astaro Server Priv NIC->> internal network + Public NIC ->> DSL router (Fritzbox)

the dsl router provides wireless connection to a few handheld devices and 2 laptops. Since the wireless devices communicate independently from the astaro appliance, how can i make it possible that every wireless device gets monitored, filtered and reported by astaro SG?

thanks in advance

aussie29
  • In that configuration, you can use the Astaro as a Web Proxy and an SMTP Proxy (if you had your own, internal mail server).  In order for the various clients' browsers to use the Astaro Web Proxy, their 'Proxy Settings' must point at the Astaro on port 8080; and that can be accomplished with a proxy auto configuration file (PAC file) that is loaded when the local device first joins your network and asks for an IP address.  Currently, the DHCP in your Fritzbox provides that; you would need to turn off DHCP in the Fritzbox and enable it in the Astaro.

On the other hand, the ideal arrangement to get the most out of the Astaro is to have it at the edge with one interface connected to the internet and with a public IP.  A second interface would be connected to your internal network where there's a wireless access point and the Astaro does DHCP for the network.  In this configuration, Astaro can be a firewall with Intrusion Prevention, and the Web Proxy can be in a Transparent mode that doesn't require a PAC file or otherwise changing the clients' Proxy Settings.

I know I've over-simplified, but that might be enough for you to decide if you want to maintain your present network topology.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • In that configuration, you can use the Astaro as a Web Proxy and an SMTP Proxy (if you had your own, internal mail server).  In order for the various clients' browsers to use the Astaro Web Proxy, their 'Proxy Settings' must point at the Astaro on port 8080; and that can be accomplished with a proxy auto configuration file (PAC file) that is loaded when the local device first joins your network and asks for an IP address.  Currently, the DHCP in your Fritzbox provides that; you would need to turn off DHCP in the Fritzbox and enable it in the Astaro.

On the other hand, the ideal arrangement to get the most out of the Astaro is to have it at the edge with one interface connected to the internet and with a public IP.  A second interface would be connected to your internal network where there's a wireless access point and the Astaro does DHCP for the network.  In this configuration, Astaro can be a firewall with Intrusion Prevention, and the Web Proxy can be in a Transparent mode that doesn't require a PAC file or otherwise changing the clients' Proxy Settings.

I know I've over-simplified, but that might be enough for you to decide if you want to maintain your present network topology.

Cheers - Bob

Hi BAlfson,

thanks for your help.Yes irealise taht. I am quite familiar with with the terminology now worries :-) but perhaps i did not explain myself well. I have to undersatnd something before I can apply it, rather than doing something and not knowing wot i did.
    This is a setup for home(dunno if i mentioned)... so having the Astaro at the edge would mean that the fritzbox would be configured as adsl modem and astaro doing PPoE. Having said that, I am sure I can leve the fritzbox at the edge and getting each wired device connecting to teh private lan on the astaro (which works fine as we know). BUT.... it is still a little grey to me on how to control any wireless connectivity. I want to avoid that the wireless devices get an ip address from the fritzbox. I am sure you understand that i cannot supply a proxy pac to any mobile device or home appliance. once the wireless devices get an ip address from the fritzbox, they are bypassing the astaro SG. this is something i want to avoid

thanks in advance, you guys are really helpful

cheers

aussie29 [:S]
  • I don't have anything to add to my comments above.  You will have to spend money to change your topology, or you will need to accept the limitations on the use of the Astaro.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, Bob's recommending 

1. you disable the DHCP server on the Fritzbox and enable one on the Astaro EXT interface.

OR

2. put the fritzbox in modem mode, and get another WiFi access point on your internal LAN.

Barry
  • If the Fritzbox can create VLAN's, then you should be able to setup two VLAN's.  VLAN 1 would be used to connect the internet (WAN) inte[H]rface and the external interface of the Astaro server.  VLAN 2 would be used to connect the Astaro internal interface and the Fritzbox Ethernet ports & wireless (WLAN).  The Astaro would perform the routing between the External & Internal interfaces.
    ADSL port = VLAN 1, Fritzbox Ethernet port 1 = VLAN 1, External interface of Astaro connected to Fritzbox Ethernet port 1
    Fritxbox Ethernet port 2,3,4 and WLAN assigned to VLAN 2, Astaro Internal interface connected to Fritzbox Ethernet port 2.
    This uses the existing equipment and isolates External (internet) traffic from Internal traffic and ensures that the Astaro intercepts all data.
    If your understanding of networking is up to it then you can also assign VLAN 1 & 2 to Fritzbox Ethernet port 1.  If you are using VMWare as your Astaro server then you can user 1 NIC and send both VLAN 1 & 2 traffic from the Astaro server.  That should be[:$] possible and frees three Ethernet ports on the Fritzbox.  The first design is easier but uses two Ethernet ports on the Fritzbox.