Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Free For Bussiness and Site2Site VPN

Hello, 
for 2 weeks I need a Free For Business version of Sophos UTM. I need it because we are moving our HQ to another location, so I plan to use an old ASG 220 rev.3 in our old office and use it for a Site 2 Site VPN (connected to our ASG 220 rev.5 in the new HQ). In other words, we should use the 220 in a similar way of a RED device (but I prefer not to buy it because it's only for 2 weeks!). 

I have read that Free for business supports L2TP over IPsec and PPTP. Can I set up a SiteToSite VPN using these protocols?

Thanks
eclipse79
  • Hi Eclipse,

I looked at my Free Edition install (v8) and it supports L2TP but only as a server, not as a client.

Why not just run the older ASG in demo mode for a couple of weeks? I highly doubt Astaro/Sophos is going to come breaking down your door with their lawyers just because you used the demo mode for two weeks during a swing migration of your office. [:)]
  • On the other hand, why not buy a RED!?!  You could set it up in "Standard/Unified" and bridge the old and new sites, thus not requiring any changes in IP addresses.  Down a server in one location, bring it up in the other, and, abracadabra, it doesn't even know it moved!

A RED is a great tool to have handy that you can use for other things in the future.  It's not that expensive, either!

As an alternative, maybe your reseller can get Sophos to sell you a one-month subscription for the old 220.  However, if you kept that old 220 after doing a "trade-in" for the one you have now, I think you had to agree never to use it for business purposes with Astaro software.

I agree that it's unlikely that Sophos would want to come after you.  I can understand an individual stretching the limits for themselves, but I think we're always better off if we try to keep our employers in compliance.

On the other hand, if Astaro says it's OK, then it's not a problem!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I agree that it's unlikely that Sophos would want to come after you.  I can understand an individual stretching the limits for themselves, but I think we're always better off if we try to keep our employers in compliance.

*tips his hat* That Sir Bob, is one of the most elegant smack-downs I have ever had the privilege to receive. [;)]

I've been in similar scenarios (not with Astaro) where I needed a second license to cover a transition scenario and having gone back to our vendor they've given us a demo license to cover the brief few weeks we were floating. When I asked the one time why they wouldn't sell us a short term license, they replied that to do so would come across as a money grab and they were more interested in keeping us happy then squeezing every last penny they could out of us.

As a point of order, let it not be said that I am in any way implying this be the case here. I'd never have thought of using a RED in that application so I come away both humbled and wiser.[:D]
  • Very classy, Drew, but I never suspected otherwise! Thanks!

You're right, Sophos is likely to offer a 30-day demo license for the same reason.  That, and it likely costs more to sell a 30-day license than they sell it for. [;)]

The RED technology is really powerful.  In the past, if you found yourself stuck with two locations on the same subnet, you had to use a regular VPN with phantom subnets and a bunch of NAT rules.  Now, it's possible to change a few fixed IPs, the DHCP range on each side and bridge them with a RED - done and no added complexity!  The same thing can be accomplished with a RED tunnel between two ASG/UTMs.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA