Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Astaro v8 in esx 3.5

Hi All

New to Astaro - so forgive stupid questions.

I have been trying to get astaro to work as a spam filter without luck.

Setup is:

ESX 3.5 (no vCentre)
3 x 1Gb NIC (1 on board plus 2 x expansion)  -all Intel based detected by ESX 

Current VM is an Exchange 2003 box.

New Astaro VM build from the hardware ISO as I can't import OVF files on this version of ESX without vCentre.

I am confused how I should have the network cards set up.  Should I have 1 x NIC for service console (which it currently is) and the other two for the Astaro box?  I have a modem/router with inbuilt firewall that takes care of firewall so dont need Astaro to act as my authentication point with my ISP.

The way I have it configured is:

Router  --> vSwitch0 ((Onboard NIC) Service Console + Astaro External) vSwitch 1 (Astaro Internal NIC (using other another NIC)) out to Netgear Network switch into remaining NIC which the Exchange server lives on.

I know I am missing something basic here - do i need a 4th NIC?

Also, when I apply the base license it mentions that SMTP scanning is not available - is this something new in v8?  

As mentioned, all I want to do is use it as a SPAM filter to block spam which in turn should block virus laden email.

Any help is very much appreciated
Parents
  • Wouldnt I need to have the exchange server on it's on NIC after the internal NIC?

You could configure a DMZ either with an additional interface or with VLANs, but it's not necessary; you'll still wind up with a NAT rule like 'Any -> SMTP -> External (Address) : DNAT to {Host definition for Exchange server}'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Wouldnt I need to have the exchange server on it's on NIC after the internal NIC?

You could configure a DMZ either with an additional interface or with VLANs, but it's not necessary; you'll still wind up with a NAT rule like 'Any -> SMTP -> External (Address) : DNAT to {Host definition for Exchange server}'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data