Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

Astaro v8 in esx 3.5

Hi All

New to Astaro - so forgive stupid questions.

I have been trying to get astaro to work as a spam filter without luck.

Setup is:

ESX 3.5 (no vCentre)
3 x 1Gb NIC (1 on board plus 2 x expansion)  -all Intel based detected by ESX 

Current VM is an Exchange 2003 box.

New Astaro VM build from the hardware ISO as I can't import OVF files on this version of ESX without vCentre.

I am confused how I should have the network cards set up.  Should I have 1 x NIC for service console (which it currently is) and the other two for the Astaro box?  I have a modem/router with inbuilt firewall that takes care of firewall so dont need Astaro to act as my authentication point with my ISP.

The way I have it configured is:

Router  --> vSwitch0 ((Onboard NIC) Service Console + Astaro External) vSwitch 1 (Astaro Internal NIC (using other another NIC)) out to Netgear Network switch into remaining NIC which the Exchange server lives on.

I know I am missing something basic here - do i need a 4th NIC?

Also, when I apply the base license it mentions that SMTP scanning is not available - is this something new in v8?  

As mentioned, all I want to do is use it as a SPAM filter to block spam which in turn should block virus laden email.

Any help is very much appreciated
  • You need at least 2 nics defined in ESX -- One for "external" and one for internal.  During setup, you will define which interface will work as your management interface -- however, note that this interface is not exclusively a managment interface, it is also used to pass traffic.  I highly recommend that you read the product manual.

As far as licensing goes --- the Essential Edition does not include any of the extra spam scanning, etc. features -- it's an "Essential" firewall license, and as such only includes basic firewall functionality.

If you are a business user, this is your only valid "free" license -- to get the other features, you will need to purchase them.  For a Version Comparison, check here: Astaro Security Gateway Version Comparison .  If you are using this in a home setup (hobbyist, etc.) you can register for a free Home Edition license which includes nearly all of the features available on the UTM gateway product here:  Astaro Security Gateway

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• You need at least 2 nics defined in ESX -- One for "external" and one for internal.  During setup, you will define which interface will work as your management interface -- however, note that this interface is not exclusively a managment interface, it is also used to pass traffic.  

Thanks for the quick reply.  Even if I have two NIC's configured in ESX, how do I make it so that mail traffic passes through Astaro first?  Wouldnt I need to have the exchange server on it's on NIC after the internal NIC?

Keeping in mind that this all runs on one single ESX server (that is, the exhange and astaro are VM's on one ESX box)

Thanks
  • Wouldnt I need to have the exchange server on it's on NIC after the internal NIC?

You could configure a DMZ either with an additional interface or with VLANs, but it's not necessary; you'll still wind up with a NAT rule like 'Any -> SMTP -> External (Address) : DNAT to {Host definition for Exchange server}'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA