Need some help testing this with Virtualbox

I've downloaded and imported the appliance into Virtualbox, I checked its network config, the first adapter (LAN) is setup as internal network and the second one (WAN) as NAT.

Now if I understand correctly, internal network with VB means its only accessible from another VM attached to the same network so I am struggling to access the interface from my host.

Any hints?
  • I've downloaded and imported the appliance into Virtualbox, I checked its network config, the first adapter (LAN) is setup as internal network and the second one (WAN) as NAT.

Now if I understand correctly, internal network with VB means its only accessible from another VM attached to the same network so I am struggling to access the interface from my host.

Any hints?

The easiest way, and this is pending host system resources, is to simply build another VM as a client machine.  This new clients machine will have one NiC and attached to the Host Only Adapter.

You will need to change the primary NiC on the SFOS Beta to be Host Only rather than Internal Network; well, this is how I do it.  I isolate my clients VMs, forcing them to another guest, in this case being SFOS, on the same Host Only network.

==

When in doubt, Script it out.

• Have it set up in VirtualBox using host-only as use describe, when using another VM I can't get to the GUI. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The address is http://172.16.16.16, right?
  • Have it set up in VirtualBox using host-only as use describe, when using another VM I can't get to the GUI. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The address is http://172.16.16.16, right?

Is the other guest VM you're using to try and connect to the SFOS instance correctly addressed? As DHCP isn't enabled on SFOS be default for the LAN interface/zone, you'll need to manually configure a 172.16.16.20/24 address on the NIC of your guest client.

Once you've gone through the initial configuration you can then enable DHCP on the LAN and set your client to obtain IP address via DHCP.

==

• Definitely, for example right now the VM "client" guest is configured with IP of 172.16.16.32, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS pointing to 172.16.16.16.

Just checked the console of the SFOS VM under Network Administration and it does show the current IP address as the default (16).

Can ping the SFOS, but the browser just returns HTTP 404. Do you have to use a custom port, as with UTM, or something else I'm missing? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.
  • Definitely, for example right now the VM "client" guest is configured with IP of 172.16.16.32, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS pointing to 172.16.16.16.

Just checked the console of the SFOS VM under Network Administration and it does show the current IP address as the default (16).

Can ping the SFOS, but the browser just returns HTTP 404. Do you have to use a custom port, as with UTM, or something else I'm missing? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

Yeah, try:

Https://172.16.16.16:4444

JUST like the UTM [:)]

==

• Yeah, try:

Https://172.16.16.16:4444

JUST like the UTM [:)]

No, unfortunately no joy. I can't figure out. Can't get it working with VMWare either. Don't know what I'm missing here. [:(]
  • In this case, screen shots of your SFOS vbox Network configuration and that of your connecting CLIENT would greatly help.

If you can post some up of each, we should be able to see where the problem lies.

==

• In this case, screen shots of your SFOS vbox Network configuration and that of your connecting CLIENT would greatly help.

If I understand you correctly, see attached.
  • If I understand you correctly, see attached.

Cheers, thanks for the pics.  And to reciprocate, here's my config on my Windows box.

In this case, the only difference is the TYPE of adapter you're using for the SFOS instance.

I'm using the Intel MT DESKTOP, not SERVER adapter.  Shut down your VM and change the adapter type.

The other subtle difference I have is that my WAN is bridged to my LOCAL real network, saves a double NAT [;)]  But this is irrelevant now as you cant connect to the HOST only Network.

==

• Sorry to say it didn't work ... I'm lost. Never had a problem like this with a Sophos install before.

Thanks for your help, though. I don't get it.