Need some help testing this with Virtualbox

I've downloaded and imported the appliance into Virtualbox, I checked its network config, the first adapter (LAN) is setup as internal network and the second one (WAN) as NAT.

Now if I understand correctly, internal network with VB means its only accessible from another VM attached to the same network so I am struggling to access the interface from my host.

Any hints?
Parents Reply Children
  • If I understand you correctly, see attached.

Cheers, thanks for the pics.  And to reciprocate, here's my config on my Windows box.

In this case, the only difference is the TYPE of adapter you're using for the SFOS instance.

I'm using the Intel MT DESKTOP, not SERVER adapter.  Shut down your VM and change the adapter type.

The other subtle difference I have is that my WAN is bridged to my LOCAL real network, saves a double NAT [;)]  But this is irrelevant now as you cant connect to the HOST only Network.

==

When in doubt, Script it out.

• Sorry to say it didn't work ... I'm lost. Never had a problem like this with a Sophos install before.

Thanks for your help, though. I don't get it.
  • Totes weird!

I'd say blow it away and start again!

==

When in doubt, Script it out.

• I've downloaded and imported the appliance into Virtualbox, I checked its network config, the first adapter (LAN) is setup as internal network and the second one (WAN) as NAT.

Now if I understand correctly, internal network with VB means its only accessible from another VM attached to the same network so I am struggling to access the interface from my host.

Any hints?

The easiest way, and this is pending host system resources, is to simply build another VM as a client machine.  This new clients machine will have one NiC and attached to the Host Only Adapter.

You will need to change the primary NiC on the SFOS Beta to be Host Only rather than Internal Network; well, this is how I do it.  I isolate my clients VMs, forcing them to another guest, in this case being SFOS, on the same Host Only network.

Have it set up in VirtualBox using host-only as use describe, when using another VM I can't get to the GUI. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The address is http://172.16.16.16, right?

For what it's worth, I just setup a Copernicus Firewall in Virtualbox on my MacBook as follows...

First, setup a Host Only Network via Virtualbox > Preferences > Network
    - IPv4 Address 172.16.16.1
    - Netmask 255.255.255.0
    - DHCP Server Address 172.16.16.0
    - Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    - Lower Bound and Upper Bound 172.16.16.2 to 172.16.16.15

Then in the VM settings for network...

Adapter 1: set to Host-Only Adapter and select the Host Only Network you created above with default adapter type of PCnet-FAST III
    - This will create a virtual LAN network inside your host on a 172 subnet on the LAN side of the Copernicus Firewall that will enable your host and any other VMs you desire to access the LAN side, including the management console at 172.16.16.16.

Adapter 2: set to Bridged Adapter and select the interface on your host that has an active network connection (such as your laptop WiFi), again the default adapter type of PCnet-FAST III is fine.
    - This will bridge the WAN side of the Firewall to your real network and will get an IP from your real DHCP service (or you can assign a fixed one later).

After you start the VM, give it some time to startup (a few minutes) and connect to the Copernicus Firewall management console on 172.16.16.16 in your browser.
  • Chris McCormack said:

First, setup a Host Only Network via Virtualbox > Preferences > Network
    - IPv4 Address 172.16.16.1
    - Netmask 255.255.255.0
    - DHCP Server Address 172.16.16.0
    - Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    - Lower Bound and Upper Bound 172.16.16.2 to 172.16.16.15

Then in the VM settings for network...

Adapter 1: set to Host-Only Adapter and select the Host Only Network you created above with default adapter type of PCnet-FAST III
    - This will create a virtual LAN network inside your host on a 172 subnet on the LAN side of the Copernicus Firewall that will enable your host and any other VMs you desire to access the LAN side, including the management console at 172.16.16.16.

Adapter 2: set to Bridged Adapter and select the interface on your host that has an active network connection (such as your laptop WiFi), again the default adapter type of PCnet-FAST III is fine.
    - This will bridge the WAN side of the Firewall to your real network and will get an IP from your real DHCP service (or you can assign a fixed one later).

After you start the VM, give it some time to startup (a few minutes) and connect to the Copernicus Firewall management console on 172.16.16.16 in your browser.

Following this step by steps solved the issue. It is great.