First Impressions and Feedback

First off, yes I understand that it is new and will take time to learn where everything is in the New UI.

The New UI and Menus
I agree completely with a previous comment that this UI was designed by Graphic Designers, not by System Admins. It is very pretty, but not extremely functional. Everything is scattered around the new menu system. It definitely doesn't keep in line with the Sophos Slogan "Security Made Simple".  I'm not saying go back to the old UI, but the designers should really sit down with a day to day network admin for input.

Wireless in the New UI
An example of how the UI seems scattered. I had to 3 different sections and 4 different screen to enable wireless, setup an SSID, add a Wireless AP and then create a Group to assign the SSID.  Not very intuitive at all.

Network Interfaces
First - It would be nice to be able to rename them from Port A, Port B, etc.  Renaming them to something that makes sense would be better.  Local LAN, Internet 1, Internet 2, etc.

Second - DHCP on the Interfaces doesn't have an option to refresh the DHCP on the Interface.  You have to edit and save the Interface or reboot.

Third - We lost the ability to turn off the Interfaces.  This is used when troubleshooting or testing.

User Portal
On a positive note I really like the New User Portal.  However, it is missing an initial welcome screen.

Alerts
There doesn't seem to be a way to clear/acknowledge alerts right now.  Which leaves us with a constant warning about "HTTPS-based management is allowed from the WAN"

Just starting to really dig into the functionality of the New OS.  Thanks for letting us pick it apart.
  • Dynamic DNS
    Dynamic DNS is missing quite a few of the Dynamic DNS Providers.  Namely all of the free ones such a FreeDNS (freedns.afraid.org)
  • Hi,

Im completely agree about the new UI.
    It takes to me 2 days to get familiar with it. (UTM9 was about 2-3 hours. I made a live succesfull implementation after 8 hours) 
    I know Sophos tried to simplify everything, but breaking a logical function into multiple pieces is neither simplify nor speed up working.
    (For example: everything which involve a service, some object, and configuration options... so generally everything)

"Security made simple".... oh wait ! it is not [[:D]]
    Anyway, it is tough since a completely different way of thinking is needed for Copernicus.

My biggest "fear" anyway is about debugging policies. 
    As far as i try to make a quite simple firewall ruleset based on one of our customer network, i was lost to determine why the system works as it works.
    For example, you have multiple user rules in a junction with some network rules. User rules are based on groups. 
    When i have tried to figure out which communication goes on which policy, i was failed. I have not find any help or information on the UI...
    (There are some "hint" in logs but it is pain in the ass
    Suggestion for that: The name of the used policy should be logged in every "facility". For example webfiltering -- beside of the url and its classification.
    )

Suggestion: A "policy" testing feature should be implemented - quite similar as UTM webproxy test feature. That can help debugging policy problems.
    Also, 

Another UI thing:

Bug, question :
    - Is there any way to disable transparent HTTP proxying ? - I found an option to set up the proxy port, but nothing where i an disable transparent proxy. (Or it is not yet implemented?)

- Console : Setup interface menu is a disaster. You should really think that part over.  (setup interface -> PortA details, PortX details.... THAN asking questions if you want to change one by one ?) Quite annoying, but if that menu is still a "placeholder" thing, then nevermind [[:D]]

Im not like it so far. I hope Sophos can make some improvement in the UI, because functions in it are quite good. 
    But if we can not work smoothly with the UI, they are useless [:(]
  • I can agree with the previous feedbacks that the new UTM UI does not fit into the Sophos' simplicity mantra. Here are some examples:

Not clear MENU options:

There are both Administration -> settings, configuration, system services options in the Menu, it is confusing. I notified that there are descriptions about the options in the Menu but by my opinion reading long texts is not about usability. Other example: in the menu there are both Policy and Objects -> policies... options. The naming is not obvious.

Lost in the configuration

By our experiences in the new UTM version there are functions what you can configure on several different places. Maybe it can be useful if you can display a tree on top of the UI which shows the current depth in the menus.
  • [:D]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I echo the sentiments of others on the GUI.  I think it's worth dropping the marketing of "No more than 3 clicks" to get items organized in a logical manner.

Heck I'm still searching for where the user portal configuration is located (like where to enable/disable what is available for end users).  I'm sure I'm missing it because the GUI is that intuitive!

OK, rant over.  I'll get back to testing every possible function and report issues.
  • I don't think there is an actual User Portal section anymore.  The only thing referencing it that I could find for access was under System/Administration/Appliance Access.  This seems to be where you allow the User Portal Access from the WAN.

SSLVPN and other User policies are under the objects.  Objects/Identity/Users
  • I figured as much.  Would be nice to remove things like Mail Qurantine and Hotspots if we are not using those features (confuses users).

Again, this may be hidden in other menus.

On the configuration aspect, another great example like you described on the scattered menus.
  • One of the main advantages of the Sophos UTM / Astaro Security Gateway was the object handling.
    You created a network interface e.g. LAN with 192.168.0.1. Automatically three objects were then available:

LAN Address
    LAN Broadcast
    LAN Network

You could use those everywhere e.g. in the RED split networks, NAT-Rules. 
    Also if you changed the Interface IP, the objects were updated automatically.

Now you have to create a new object and cannot a simple reference to the interface object :-(
  • Definitely not as intuitive an interface.  Is very odd to navigate.

Why cannot I delete a network interface or disable? 
  • i know its new and alpha/beta but i am not impressed.

UI is very slow, creating definitions and settings up rules that took 10 seconds on UTM9 now takes a minute because one has to navigate through a non-intuitive UI.

Why only 5 icons in the left navigation? no sysadmin manages their firewall just from an ipad. Could use the space like in the current V9 for submenus etc.

some random thoughts and what i noticed from testing:

- IPv6 over PPPoE not fuctional so can't test anything there.
    - Tunnelbroker not in yet it seems
    - No Live Firewall Log?

If the functionality and user interface won't surpass the current UTM9 in terms of support and user experience i can't see many who want to switch to this.

UTM9 is a great matured product and will be hard to get phased out, unlikely by something like the current Copernicus Preview which seems to be aimed at a different usergroup.