First Impressions and Feedback

First off, yes I understand that it is new and will take time to learn where everything is in the New UI.

The New UI and Menus
I agree completely with a previous comment that this UI was designed by Graphic Designers, not by System Admins. It is very pretty, but not extremely functional. Everything is scattered around the new menu system. It definitely doesn't keep in line with the Sophos Slogan "Security Made Simple".  I'm not saying go back to the old UI, but the designers should really sit down with a day to day network admin for input.

Wireless in the New UI
An example of how the UI seems scattered. I had to 3 different sections and 4 different screen to enable wireless, setup an SSID, add a Wireless AP and then create a Group to assign the SSID.  Not very intuitive at all.

Network Interfaces
First - It would be nice to be able to rename them from Port A, Port B, etc.  Renaming them to something that makes sense would be better.  Local LAN, Internet 1, Internet 2, etc.

Second - DHCP on the Interfaces doesn't have an option to refresh the DHCP on the Interface.  You have to edit and save the Interface or reboot.

Third - We lost the ability to turn off the Interfaces.  This is used when troubleshooting or testing.

User Portal
On a positive note I really like the New User Portal.  However, it is missing an initial welcome screen.

Alerts
There doesn't seem to be a way to clear/acknowledge alerts right now.  Which leaves us with a constant warning about "HTTPS-based management is allowed from the WAN"

Just starting to really dig into the functionality of the New OS.  Thanks for letting us pick it apart.
  • Hi All, 

I am trying the Copernicus UI also. As someone else said:

1. Interface is too slow (imagine Network Admin that need to create many rules at the beginning)
    2. No Live Log ???????
    3. No drag and drop ???????
    4. No chance to click on menu from submenu (for example at the left-top side will be nice to click on parent menu to go back)
    5. No search box
    6. How to create zones? 

The nice things are Reports and Console Access from web console (command list?). Many many reports are available inside UTM. 
    I will keep trying the Copernicus.
    Sophos needs feedback to improve this Project!
  • Hi All, 

I am trying the Copernicus UI also. As someone else said:

1. Interface is too slow (imagine Network Admin that need to create many rules at the beginning)
    2. No Live Log ???????
    3. No drag and drop ???????
    4. No chance to click on menu from submenu (for example at the left-top side will be nice to click on parent menu to go back)
    5. No search box
    6. How to create zones? 

The nice things are Reports and Console Access from web console (command list?). Many many reports are available inside UTM. 
    I will keep trying the Copernicus.
    Sophos needs feedback to improve this Project!

Hi,

Zone can be created from Objects --> Identity --> Zone

Regards,
    Sneha
  • After a first period of testing, I can give the following feedback:

1. Is it right, that for activating my license, my UTM needs to have an existing Internet connection?
    2. I'm really looking for the liveLog. This was a very helpful tool while troubleshooting, which is needed very often by sysadmins.
    3. I'm looking for the possibility to change number of Items shown on lists (I'm not willing to navigate trough various pages because you show only 10 Items per page)
    4. On the Interfaces Page: There should be a possibility to rename them, and there should be a possibility to enable or disable them.
    5. As said by previous posters, the GUI looks quite nice. If my browser looses connection to the UTM, in Sophos UTM there was a javascript Window appearing, which was notifying me about this. In SFOS there just happens nothing (The graphs are no longer getting updated, that's all).

I did not expire any slow WebGUI Issues on my Virtual Environment so far (VMWare Workstation, 2 GB of memory instead of 1GB, which was given by Default and 2 Cores instead of one Core which was given Default).

Please send me Spam gueselkuebel@sg-utm.also-solutions.ch

• @q2srw77
    Thanks for your positive comment about the new User Portal. On the assumption you are referring to MySophos, please let me know what type of information you think is missing from the welcome screen.
    i.e. https://secure2.sophos.com/en-us/mysophos/my-account.aspx
  • Policy rule name cannot be changed after the creation ?

After only about 5-6 hours of experience with the beta, I am personally very disappointed about it.
  • After only about 5-6 hours of experience with the beta, I am personally very disappointed about it.

same here, unfortunately (been using astaro/sophos utm since 2009)
  • @q2srw77 Thanks for your positive comment about the new User Portal. On the assumption you are referring to MySophos, please let me know what type of information you think is missing from the welcome screen. i.e. https://secure2.sophos.com/en-us/mysophos/my-account.aspx

Hi Paul - I was actually referring to the Sophos Firewall User Portal on the device itself. W
  • So I spent a couple hours on it yesterday and have to agree. The new GUI is pretty but that menu is very unfunctional.

I think it could still be 3 clicks to most things, but more thought needs to be put into how each category is split up and what pages should be underneath them.

If you consider UTM, most options where 3-4 clicks to get where you want. So this doesn't seem unreasonable. 

The new policy section is very interesting. One rule to control them all vibe.

Still much to play with and so little time.
  • So I spent a couple hours on it yesterday and have to agree. The new GUI is pretty but that menu is very unfunctional.

Totally aggree. And to give an example (not the only one, and not the most important, but very striking): 

Look at the configuration of wireless in copernikus.  This is scattered amongst various configuration menu subcategories and even the asset menu!
  • +1 

Absolutely crazy and stupid GUI proposal for WiFi.

Who could to split a configuration for WiFi solution into three different submenus ?!? 

Who and why ?

alda