6.993 Issues

I suppose this is a start of an issues list for the 6.933 release.

My first issue was with the wizard.  It refused to accept any of my backup files, calling them all corrupt.  I was able to run the setup wizard (fantastic...), and when all was up and running, restore my backup via the Admin interface.

Once the backup was restored, all appears well, but I have not tested my email yet. So far, I would have to say I really like what I see, but the Wizard backup issue threw a scare into me.

Edit:

Well, after working for a short while, the HTTP Proxy just up and quit. Nothing I could do would make it work.  I went back to 6.908 for now. I will return to testing 6.933 later...
Parents
  • Have you got any error logging that you can post up so we can take a look
  • Hi folks,
    I have it loaded on a test machine. After some minor issues of my own making it is working very well. 
    1/. I haven't tried the restore from backup
    2/. A number  of items in my long thread on 908 appear to have been fixed
    3/. Stats update quickly and appear to have the correct suffixes
    4/. There are more stats
    5/. Layout of webadmin is slightly different.
    6/. Some things have gone from bads to worse
    the reboot from webadmin now fails on my test machine without a keyboard plugged in. The started on the real machine with the original beta, but didn't happen on this machine. It is not an issue under 6.303.
    7/. The DNS might still be an issue, but that could because of my typing.

Tomorrow is the big test, install it on the main machine and see what happens.

Ian M[[[:)]]][[[:)]]][[[:)]]]
  • Did I read correctly?  This ISO version goes NOT include the up2date fix?????  I find that incredibly shocking.  That has been a long standing issue.  They couldnt at least put the fix in with this build?  What the heck is that all about??  There is no way on earth this is going to go distro by the end of the month at this rate.
  • Scott_Klassen,
    so far I have found with the system notifications, that unless the smtp proxy is enabled nothing gets sent that originates from do-not-reply@fw-notify.net

I have been trying to find ways around this issue, so that I can use prefetch as a home user and still get firewall notifications. I use my hotmail accounts, but the same problem exists. Still some other ideas to try out.

Ian M[:S][[:)]][[:)]]
  • Thanks RFCat_vk. My problem isn't that the notifications aren't going out. That I expect, since this Astaro install is in VMWare, disconnected from my live network. My issue is that there are mails in the quarentine and the GUI won't show them so that I can delete. [:)]

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I've just upgraded to this version and can confirm the same problem as the OP.  All backup's that I try to restore get reported as being corrupt.
  • I got a death by installer problem [:)]

When trying to install I get either of the following

A)  I get an out of memory error upon just after it getting past the first screen
    B)  I immediately get a Kernel dump crash
    C)  I'll get into the installer & get a Kernel Dump

This box does run 6.303 fine - and memtest shows all is fine

I'll try to get a few screen caps of some of the errors I'm getting.

System Specs

Asus P4B -- Everything onboard except the USB is disabled.
    Intel Pentium 4 1.7ghz
    2x 512mb Kingston PC133
    Asus V7100 video card
    2x 3com 3c905cx-tx-m
    Seagate 40gb IDE Drive

Using ISO asg-6.933-070115-1.iso
  • what you were talking about. I hadn't experienced the problem with this build until today.
    Originally I was using an AMD 754 based ASG, but found sufficient pieces to make a low power ASG using a Celeron 1300a and since then I have had no end of problems.
    I had to rebuild it because the realtek internal lan couldn't handle 4 users, so  I put in a couple of Intel pro 1000T nics, but then a number of applications wouldn't start.
    If I remember the first time I tried to use the Celeron 1300a in an earlier v7b I had similar problems.  Somethings don't seem to start or run, yesterday took it me an hour to convince it that e-mail should work, numerous restarts and a very frustrating time.

So at the moment I have 9 e-mails in quarantine according the summary page, none actually in quarantine when I have a look. But the pop3 logfile shows a number of messages having been delivered to prefetch, not passed onto me. A couple are spam, but the others are genuine messages which I need. Now if I stop and start the pop3 proxy they will be delivered. This problem doesn't happen under my AMD based machine.

So, are you using a celeron or similar vintage processor in your box?

Ian M[:S][:S][:S]
  • I started this thread (and yes, I did use the wrong version number, but it won't let me fix it), so I thought I'd chime in with my status.

I was able to make things work with a re-install. The wizard still would not accept my backup files, but the restore process in the Admin worked just fine.

I still have a problem with my WebAdmin certificate. When I first installed, I misnamed my system (left off the domain name). This problem has carried over from every install, because I use backups to restore my system.  Clean installs work fine, but backup/restores have not taken the certificate renames.

It appears that Up2Date is not working, as nothing has updated since install. I shall have to try the fix to see if it gets it working.

I am thinking the DNS fix also affects the SPAM user emails. Last time, on 6.908, I did not get any spam list emails until I put in the fix, the same thing still appears to be happening. I have not received any quarantine emails since 6.933 went in.

I do have a problem with many web sites, but that appears to be a Firefox (2.0.0.1) problem. Way too many time out on me, but they all work fine with IE7. These appear to be all HTTPS sites (like my Credit Union...).

All in all, I am very happy with the way V7 is headed. I am curious about how they will present the Home User license.
  • i figured i'd chime in to (hopefully) assist the astaro team with getting out a stable product. First of all, let me say that i have had so many issues with the betas that i have in all done 18 full re-installs (some due to me screwing things up myself). 

first off, one great thing i immediately noticed going from 6.908 to 6.933 was greatly reduced ram usage, i hope it didn't affect stability, because i have had more problems overall with 6.933. the webadmin changes between 6.908 and 6.933 are welcome though (object description now hovers in yellow as opposed to expanding is huge).

Here are the big issues i have encountered so far:

1. sometimes, when making a major change, most traffic ceases to be natted properly. for example, because of my paranoia (it locks up frequently) i backup after every change or 2 while setting up and test carefully after each change. once when i enabled dhcp on one of the subnets, all traffic stopped passing through and the gui stopped responding. so i reinstalled and restored from a backup on 6.933 that i made just before it froze (i know it worked when i did the backup). 
    when i restored, the GA302t's (look below for specs) started enabling themselves and disabling and i couldn't access anything. so i reinstalled and restored from several other good backups with the same result. just to make sure it wasn't the Netgear cards (not on hwl) i removed them and only used 3c905c's and reinstalled and setup from scratch everything. 

2. other time(s) i restored from a known, good backup and although the nic's didn't die i could ping just fine through the firewall (this also happened once when i added a nic). name resolution worked through the firewall (was not using astaro as dns server) so i could ping yahoo.com, etc. however when attempting to browse or use any other service i could test it would not work. i have packet filter and snat rules to allow everything from the local subnet out. looking at the live log i could see the packets being allowed out (i don't know where to check NAT logs) but nothing happens.

3. i have 5 static ip's from my isp and had the 4 additional ip's setup and i also made a network group with those 5 ip's as members. i had 3 interfaces (3c905c) and needed to switch 2 of them so i deleted my internet adsl interface, moved the voip subnet over to that interface and recreated the adsl interface. 
    when i recreated the adsl interface, i noticed that i could not access the additional ip's page (would sit forever) but could reload and relogin. i also noticed that under network definitions, all of the old additional ip's were listed by name with ip's of 0.0.0.0 as well as the old group that included them. i was able to delete the group but could not do anything at all with the old ip's of 0.0.0.0, i still couldn't access the additional ip's tab.
    worse yet, although i could access the web gui i could not successfully get traffic to pass through the firewall at all (not even pings!). i deleted the voip interface and moved adsl to the other interfaces... nothing
    You need the capability of being able to create or assign a NULL interface. If you had 3 interfaces and needed to swap 2 of them, you could assign one of them to the NULL interface WITHOUT HAVING TO DELETE IT. Although problems i've encountered should NEVER happen, a null interface would certainly make setup and allocation of interfaces much easier. You could also setup interfaces before adding the ethernet card.

4. I have not been able to authenticate users to my ad domain (Win2000). i read the small amount of info in the manual and was able to join the firewall to the domain no problem. However i cannot get it to authenticate off the win2k server. i tried putting in the administrator account in the optional location above but it wouldn't work with or without it.

5. When setting up the user portal since i couldn't use active directory, i set it up to local authentication for testing. i don't like the pop/spam segregation. it should default to ALL. also i don't get anything at all listed under spam and i tried several users, all of which receive a lot of spam but have also had legitimate email blocked. does it not show grey/blacklisted emails?

6. Not the biggest thing (i prefer separate interfaces for performance) but 3c905c's are listed in the hwl as supporting vlans and no matter how i set it up i can't get it to work. beleive me, i'm not a noob when it come to routers and vlans and i'm very familiar with a "router on a stick" setup but i cannot get it to work with my Adtran 1524 Gigabit L2 managed switch even though i can get other Adtran and Cisco routers to work this way.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that several times i had the setup close to complete, when i didn't touch it, it worked great. then i make one change like activate dhcp and it bombs the whole setup, then when i restore from a working config on the same hardware, it doesn't work!
    V7 shows a lot of promise, but it has been frustrating working with it.

just to take the nics out of the equation, i have ordered this 4 port nic http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/54/products_id/425 recommended by one of the senior members here to work well. i think this will make it easier to setup the interfaces and hopefully they'll all be in order so i can physically mark them.

if the kinks get worked out of v7 i really want 

My specs are as follows:
    AMD K7 1700+ 1.47GHz
    nForce 2 400 (diabled built-in nic, sound and all other ports)
    1GB ddr400 (running at ddr266)
    Tried all combinations of the following NIC's:
    3Com 3c905c-TX (Tornado in webadmin)
    3Com 3c905 (Boomerang in webadmin)
    Netgear GA302t (gigabit, not on the hwl but lists as Altima (nee Broadcom) AC9100 Gigabit Ethernet)
    Netgear FA310TX (shown as netgear fa310tx in setup but in webadmin as Linksys LNE100)
  • 2. other time(s) i restored from a known, good backup and although the nic's didn't die i could ping just fine through the firewall (this also happened once when i added a nic). name resolution worked through the firewall (was not using astaro as dns server) so i could ping yahoo.com, etc. however when attempting to browse or use any other service i could test it would not work. i have packet filter and snat rules to allow everything from the local subnet out. looking at the live log i could see the packets being allowed out (i don't know where to check NAT logs) but nothing happens.

Believe me when I say, I am not a noob with ASG. However, I had this happen to a co-workers firewall at home, and I spent several hours trying to troubleshoot it. I disabled ALL IPS/IM/P2P. I re-created PF rules and NAT, etc etc.

However nothing would work other than DNS and ICMP. I could see the packets being logged though by barnyard as "potential corporate privacy...." blah blah. And that was with all IPS disabled!
  • Hrm... Just received an email saying v7 is released....

Eeek [:)]  Chasing release version now to test.
Reply Children
No Data