6.993 Issues

I suppose this is a start of an issues list for the 6.933 release.

My first issue was with the wizard.  It refused to accept any of my backup files, calling them all corrupt.  I was able to run the setup wizard (fantastic...), and when all was up and running, restore my backup via the Admin interface.

Once the backup was restored, all appears well, but I have not tested my email yet. So far, I would have to say I really like what I see, but the Wizard backup issue threw a scare into me.

Edit:

Well, after working for a short while, the HTTP Proxy just up and quit. Nothing I could do would make it work.  I went back to 6.908 for now. I will return to testing 6.933 later...
Parents
  • Have you got any error logging that you can post up so we can take a look
  • Hi folks,
    I have it loaded on a test machine. After some minor issues of my own making it is working very well. 
    1/. I haven't tried the restore from backup
    2/. A number  of items in my long thread on 908 appear to have been fixed
    3/. Stats update quickly and appear to have the correct suffixes
    4/. There are more stats
    5/. Layout of webadmin is slightly different.
    6/. Some things have gone from bads to worse
    the reboot from webadmin now fails on my test machine without a keyboard plugged in. The started on the real machine with the original beta, but didn't happen on this machine. It is not an issue under 6.303.
    7/. The DNS might still be an issue, but that could because of my typing.

Tomorrow is the big test, install it on the main machine and see what happens.

Ian M[[[:)]]][[[:)]]][[[:)]]]
  • Peeling the Belkin label from the FD5005 gigabit NIC reveals...
    Marvell 88E8803-LKJ
    FM48741A .1
    0550 B0P

Worked OK under the last beta release.

Rest of hardware is :
    AMD Athlon Dual Core 3500+
    1GB RAM
    WD Caviar 80GB HDD
    MSI mainboard. K9N4 Ultra

EDIT:
    I have three of these cards installed.
    The first one that was faulting was set to get IP via DHCP.  And lo it crashed.
    The second one, is set as a standard ethernet interface, with fixed IP.  Connect cable, boot and lo, it does not crash.
  • We are experiencing problems with the Marvell chips.

There are two kernel drivers available, one from marvell directly, sk98lin and one open source sky2, skge.

Both do not work/crash unter certain circumstances.

up until 6.915 we used the sk98lin
    in 6.933 we tried the sky2, skge

at first the sky2 looked better, more stable. but under stresstesting, it failed.

We are currently backporting fixes from newer drivers version to that release in order to solve that issues, so please stay tuned.

thx Gert
  • This version takes a couple of goes to install on my real system, my test system works without any networking issues. Maybe I need to burn a new ISO?
    It is one mean GUI though, my laptop has to work very hard to configure 6.993
    Hasn't crashed, locked up, gone to high cpu. 

But, over all, still very happy. A minor bug in the reporting ->web security report - 18800.00%

Have one of those chips in one of the test boxes.

Ian M[:)]
  • I wasn't imaging things, it wasn't my typing. DNS still requires Gert's fix to get up2date packages.

If your Up2Date prefetching is not working (which was the case on my box) look for a line like this in /etc/crontab:

51 0,6,12,18 * * * root /usr/local/bin/netselector.plx --infile /etc/up2date/authservers.ini --outfile /etc/up2date/servers.sorted

If it isn't there, add it. And execute the command manually if you like. Up2Date should work then.
  • this line is NOT in my /etc/crontab, so i added yours! is this the original one?
  • Just a few quick things that I've noticed in this build so far.

1) In EMail Security > Quarentine Manager > Global Tab, it states that there are 65 SMTP in quarentine (probably just notification emails that couldn't get sent out due to current config on this test system). When I open up quarentine manager, nothing I've tried has made any of these 65 messages appear. Could be easily solved by the addition of a "show all" parameter to the filter by reason menu.

2) In EMail Security, I don't see sender or recipient verification as available anti-spam technologies anymore. Have these been permanently removed, temporarily removed, or are they now always on and the ability to configure has been taken away?

3)  In the first couple of released builds, I expressed a dissatisfaction with the "dumbing-down" of the interface.  I really do think that it's a mistake to give Astaro administrators less ability to configure and monitor what is going on with their Astaro and network as a whole.  A perfect example of this is IPS.  The more granular notifications control is very welcome though.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • Did I read correctly?  This ISO version goes NOT include the up2date fix?????  I find that incredibly shocking.  That has been a long standing issue.  They couldnt at least put the fix in with this build?  What the heck is that all about??  There is no way on earth this is going to go distro by the end of the month at this rate.
  • Scott_Klassen,
    so far I have found with the system notifications, that unless the smtp proxy is enabled nothing gets sent that originates from do-not-reply@fw-notify.net

I have been trying to find ways around this issue, so that I can use prefetch as a home user and still get firewall notifications. I use my hotmail accounts, but the same problem exists. Still some other ideas to try out.

Ian M[:S][[:)]][[:)]]
  • Thanks RFCat_vk. My problem isn't that the notifications aren't going out. That I expect, since this Astaro install is in VMWare, disconnected from my live network. My issue is that there are mails in the quarentine and the GUI won't show them so that I can delete. [:)]

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I've just upgraded to this version and can confirm the same problem as the OP.  All backup's that I try to restore get reported as being corrupt.
Reply Children
  • I got a death by installer problem [:)]

When trying to install I get either of the following

A)  I get an out of memory error upon just after it getting past the first screen
    B)  I immediately get a Kernel dump crash
    C)  I'll get into the installer & get a Kernel Dump

This box does run 6.303 fine - and memtest shows all is fine

I'll try to get a few screen caps of some of the errors I'm getting.

System Specs

Asus P4B -- Everything onboard except the USB is disabled.
    Intel Pentium 4 1.7ghz
    2x 512mb Kingston PC133
    Asus V7100 video card
    2x 3com 3c905cx-tx-m
    Seagate 40gb IDE Drive

Using ISO asg-6.933-070115-1.iso
  • what you were talking about. I hadn't experienced the problem with this build until today.
    Originally I was using an AMD 754 based ASG, but found sufficient pieces to make a low power ASG using a Celeron 1300a and since then I have had no end of problems.
    I had to rebuild it because the realtek internal lan couldn't handle 4 users, so  I put in a couple of Intel pro 1000T nics, but then a number of applications wouldn't start.
    If I remember the first time I tried to use the Celeron 1300a in an earlier v7b I had similar problems.  Somethings don't seem to start or run, yesterday took it me an hour to convince it that e-mail should work, numerous restarts and a very frustrating time.

So at the moment I have 9 e-mails in quarantine according the summary page, none actually in quarantine when I have a look. But the pop3 logfile shows a number of messages having been delivered to prefetch, not passed onto me. A couple are spam, but the others are genuine messages which I need. Now if I stop and start the pop3 proxy they will be delivered. This problem doesn't happen under my AMD based machine.

So, are you using a celeron or similar vintage processor in your box?

Ian M[:S][:S][:S]
  • I started this thread (and yes, I did use the wrong version number, but it won't let me fix it), so I thought I'd chime in with my status.

I was able to make things work with a re-install. The wizard still would not accept my backup files, but the restore process in the Admin worked just fine.

I still have a problem with my WebAdmin certificate. When I first installed, I misnamed my system (left off the domain name). This problem has carried over from every install, because I use backups to restore my system.  Clean installs work fine, but backup/restores have not taken the certificate renames.

It appears that Up2Date is not working, as nothing has updated since install. I shall have to try the fix to see if it gets it working.

I am thinking the DNS fix also affects the SPAM user emails. Last time, on 6.908, I did not get any spam list emails until I put in the fix, the same thing still appears to be happening. I have not received any quarantine emails since 6.933 went in.

I do have a problem with many web sites, but that appears to be a Firefox (2.0.0.1) problem. Way too many time out on me, but they all work fine with IE7. These appear to be all HTTPS sites (like my Credit Union...).

All in all, I am very happy with the way V7 is headed. I am curious about how they will present the Home User license.