BUG v19.5 EAP hardware monitoring - XG115W LAN interface died

Hi folks,

last night one of the LAN interfaces on my XG115W died, just stopped, this interface is used for video streaming and IoT devices. The following steps were tried to restart it

1/. edit the interface, failed to restart

2/. restarted the XG, interface failed restart

3/. powered off and removed the power connection, interface failed to restart after power up.

Frustrated, started planning on restoring my home licence box to production,  a lot of work required.

Suddenly, 30 minutes after the last restart the interface became live and started passing traffic.

There is a bug in the V19.5 EAP hardware management software, the log viewer -> system showed the interface as up even though it was down. At this stage the XG was using about 90% ram and CPU was over 70%.

Ian

Parents Reply
  • Hello Ian,

We have looked at your appliance. We didn't find any suspicious event.

As it wasn't clear from your mail but from problem description, it seems you are referring to Port4 (IoT Network) interface.

We found two events (down followed by up) for Port4 (IoT Network) in logviewer on 28th Oct with more than 2.5 hours gap.

Is it possible that IoT device and/or switch to which Port4 connected could be down during that time frame?

Regards,

Sanket Shah

Regards,

Sanket Shah

Director, Software Development, Sophos Firewall

Children
  • Hi sanket,

no, the interface was dead, no lights indicating that the interface was connected to an active network.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hello Ian,

It sounds strange as we couldn't find any suspicious event on product side. We checked hardware logs as well but not found anything which points to any temporal/permanent failure.

We are observing your appliance if we find similar occurrence again.

Regards,

Sanket Shah

Regards,

Sanket Shah

Director, Software Development, Sophos Firewall

• Hi Sanket,

some one logged onto my XG and caused it to basically lockup eg not pass traffic. Required a restart and some poking to get it back on line again.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Hi Ian, 

I checked with our team, and our engineers was logged into your device through the support access tunnel to investigate the daily report issue you reported in the other thread. However they were only looking at logs, and did not run any commands whcih would bring down your device. Your device was up & running, and accessible when they logged off. 

Why do you think someone logged into your device and caused it to lock up? What did you have to do after a reboot to bring it online again? 

• Hi bobbylam,

Why did I suspect someone was in the XG, shortly after restoring service I investigated the logs and found numerous SSH successful and failed connections around the failure time.

I suspect the failure is caused by the unit overheating because it was very warm when I restarted it compared to now.

The unit would pass some traffic, I could not connect to the GUI and a number of devices could not refresh their IP address.

The restart was achieved by using the power switch at the rear of their unit. The restart took about 10 minutes and not all interfaces started passing traffic immediately.

The unit sits on a shelf in an open book case.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA