EAP 2 - Ram Utilisation

Dear All, 

my system has 4 GB of RAM and with EAP2, memory utilisation is 84%. 

Sophos: is this the normal or what you expect for such a system?

Thanks

• I have to agree with  I haven't used XG in a while but memory usage and throughput aside, v18 is very fast and stable. Using regular proxy for av and categorization, you can hardly tell that any proxy is being used at all. It seems like a simple NAT router with no lag or hesitation while surfing normally. Don't know if later v17s were like that but when I stopped using XG around v17 GA, it certainly was not this snappy.

Their code cleaning and optimization have paid off finally and all the DPI and memory usage gripes aside, XG has performed very nicely for day to day tasks and sophos need kudos for their efforts in this regard.

Regards

Bill

P.S. I also agree with the sentiment of allowing 8GB for home usage. Although 6GB will still probably be ok in the near future with minimum swap.

• I have upgraded my v17.5.9 to v18 EAP2. The memory currently sits around 60%.

I will be adding more IPv6 rules today.

Mail is still causing issues.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.1 MR-1 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Thanks Ian for sharing your feedback. I hope that during the EAP 3, we will see the final performance improvement.

• I have a similar problem with RAM on XG210v3@v18 EAP(0) to EAP2...

• Wow, other than  this is the first graph on an actual appliance with a production license and the memory usage is pretty high. i am guessing those drops are reboots when the orange graphs just fall off and then climb up all the way.  can you tell us a little more about your setup as far as 

1. IPS

2 DPI or proxy in use for AV and categorization

3. How many users and firewall rules and if anything else you are using that maybe using the ram.

showed his appliance to be swapping heavily on 4GB ram, I wonder what the swap usage is on your appliance. Can you share a snapshot of "top" on console

Thnaks

• Yes, those drops are reboots. Some of them are spontaneous reboots. Uptime is max. about 5-6 days...
    So far we use a XG210 firewall under licence Basic firewall for SSL VPN (remote access - cca 30 users) and IPSec site-to-site (cca 30 tunnels). We have an active licence Network protection but we do not use it yet. I will try to transfer the existing configuration to another box with a clean installation of the v18 EAP2. Perhaps the problem is related to the upgrade from v17.5.8 MR8 to v18 EAP.

• My RAM usage is around 39% in EAP 2. On Sophos XG Home, 8GB on system -  6GB usable.

After i found out Snort on XG supported hyperscan, and my NIC chipset also supported, I've decided to give it a try. RAM usage has lowered in 1GB after this change.

If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Ryzen 5600U + I226-V (KVM) v20 MR1 @ Home

XG 115w Rev.3 8GB RAM v19.5 MR3 @ Travel Firewall

• I had some spontaneous reboots on EAP1 but EAP2 is stable for me. It is a little concerning that it is rebooting all by itself. Clean install shouldn't matter as XG does a clean install and transfers your configuration to the new firmware but it won't hurt to test a clean install. Thanks for sharing your configuration.

interesting ram changes with IPS enabled. Usually hyperscan only affects throughput. Interesting to see your ram usage drop also. 

Regards

Bill

• Hi folks,

today rebuilt my e3-1225 based system with a new BIOS. The memory usage was down as expected when first started, but I ran an IPv6 test that failed because  of MTU size, so I changed the MTU on two interfaces to 9000 (one internal and the WAN) and memory immediately grew to ver 70%. I restarted the XG because it wasn't behaving and now have MTU on all interfaces set at 9000 with memory at 73%.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.1 MR-1 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Prism said:

My RAM usage is around 39% in EAP 2. On Sophos XG Home, 8GB on system -  6GB usable.

After i found out Snort on XG supported hyperscan, and my NIC chipset also supported, I've decided to give it a try. RAM usage has lowered in 1GB after this change.

How come you're limited to 6GB usable? I'm on a Sophos XG Home license as well but with EAP, I'm able to utilize all 8GB.

How do you enable hyperscan?

---

Sophos XG guides for home users: https://shred086.wordpress.com/