Unable to download with SandBoxed Chrome

Hello

I am unable to download from any site with SandBoxed Chrome.

I have had the problem for a few years now, on 2 computers:

One with Windows 8.1 another with Windows 10 (both operating systems always kept current)

When I (try to) download something then chrome displays a message on the bottom left hand corner of the screen saying:

"DownloadedFileName"

Failed - Download Error

Chrome is always kept up to date

There is no problem downloading when Chrome is not sandboxed.

Thank You

Ron

• HI Barb

I’ve been able to identify the unique circumstances that cause downloads from a sandboxed Chrome to fail. (“Failed - Download Error”)

It’s a combination of 2 conditions:

1. My sandbox Root Path (containing Folder) is on a Ram Disk (with drive letter I:)
      The sandbox.ini entry is   FileRootPath=I:\Sandbox\\%SANDBOX%
      (Placing the sandbox on a Ram Disk guarantees that the sandbox is completely flushed when the computer is rebooted)
    2. I attempt to save the downloaded file to the same drive that the sandbox is in. ( in my case drive letter I: )
      If I save the downloaded file to any other drive (other than the Ram Disk where the sandbox resides) there is no problem.
      If the sandbox is NOT on a Ram Disk, then there is no problem, even if I save the downloaded file to the drive where the sandbox resides.

In summary:

The problem occurs ONLY if the sandbox resides on a Ram Disk, AND I attempt to download the file to the very same drive where the sandbox resides.

With this discovery, I can manage (I don’t download files to the drive where the sandbox resides)
    and I don’t necessarily need more help.

You might, however, be curious to find out why the download fails under this very unique set of circumstances.

(reminder: it happens in all versions of chrome and Sandboxie throughout the last few years)

Thank You for your help

Ron

• Hi Ron,

Glad to hear you have a workaround for now. I'll pass the info to the dev team to see if they have any suggestions. 

Not sure this is a supported scenario, but I'll let you know once I hear back from them.

Mini update: I tested on a Win 10 machine and I am not seeing the issue when I download, say, a program (I tried adobe reader, and Firefox, and I was able to download and recover them to my main drive) . However, I tried downloading a random pdf file and saving it to different locations within the ram disk and also within the Sandbox --> This triggered a message about not having permissions to save, and then download read failed, just like your example. 

Can you confirm you are seeing the same behavior?
    What is the folder Chrome is trying to download to, by default? 
    Are you able to download from other browsers? 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.