This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Reverse Proxy URL Rewrite / Redirection?

I have a server on the inside of the firewall and as I understand it with:
Webserver Protection
 -Web Application Firewall
  -Site Path Routing

It should be possible to redirect calls in the form:
http://www.mydomain.com/web
to an internal web server defined as a "Real Webserver"

What I don't see (and maybe it isn't suggested or possible - I am not a web admin [:)] ) is if I want to redirect www.mywebdomain.com (external) to internal web.mydomain.local/web.

I have an internal application that seems to only be accessible by /web, but would realllllly like to make it accessible by FQDN.

Thanks for thoughts....

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • That's not possible at the moment. But you can use a rewrite rule on your real webserver's root to redirect traffic to the /web URL.

----------
    Sophos user, admin and reseller.
    Private Setup:

• XG: HPE DL20 Gen9 (Core i3-7300, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD) | XG 18.0 (Home License) with: Web Protection, Site-to-Site-VPN (IPSec, RED-Tunnel), Remote Access (SSL, HTML5)
    • UTM: 2 vCPUs, 2GB RAM, 50GB vHDD, 2 vNICs on vServer (KVM) | UTM 9.7 (Home License) with: Email Protection, Webserver Protection, RED-Tunnel (server)
  • Thanks for the confirmation!

A lot of folks with my particular problem are talking about a reverse proxy using Apache, wasn't sure if there was a cross compatibility with Sophos.
  • Hello, did you ever manage to work round the redirect? :-) I have an web application that I need to access via the net from a form based authentication within UTM, once I authenticate I need the web server to hit the /web "mydomain.com/.../mydomain.com" as it does now.
  • The vendor of the product I was working on ended up providing a cloud portal for the app to check into and sync with, so I didn't have to make a FQDN to FQDN/path redirect after this was done.  The cloud portal brokered the connection back to my internal server.  Not a self contained solution, but in the end it allowed for broader device access and obscured the backend webserver paths.

My assumption from the info above is that an Apache redirect engine will need to be hosted internal to do it.  Good luck!
  • Guys, you might want to vote for and comment on (commenting gets more attention than votes) URL redirection.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks Bob - I don't always peruse the feature request section but the link was mighty helpful and I threw my +1 on it.  I may not need it right this moment, but I could see another situation in the future where I can't work around it.
  • URL Redirection is finally here in 9.501, but it is lacking!

In the "Source" definition (specifying the request field triggers) we only have Virtual Webserver and Path.  We (at least in my multiple situations) need to be able to specify the HTTP Host request field as a trigger as well.  E.g. one of my Virtual Webservers is setup with many different domains & subdomains.  I do not want redirection turned on PER Virtual Webserver, I want it turned on PER DOMAIN within a Virtual Webserver.

Cheers

SAM