This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

IPSEC site-to-site VPN is up, but no traffic passing

Hi there, 

I have been working on this for a couple of days and not getting any where. 

I have created an IPSEC site-to-site between two Sophos UTMs (an SG330 and SG105), both on version 9.355-1 firmware. 

The IPSEC tunnel says it is up, but it does not look like any traffic is able to pass through. I actually have managed to get traffic through on two occasions with a successful ping test from a computer in the remote network to the HQ network, but this happened randomly and on both occasions stopped working within 5 minutes. 

I can create an SSL site-to-site VPN and that comes up instantly and traffic appears to flow correctly between sites (ping and rdp tests), so I'm thinking i can rule out routing issues and narrow the problem down to the IPSEC tunnel itself. 

A summary of my setup: 

HQ Office (SG330)
internal private lans: 10.1.0.0/16 and 10.10.0.0/16
WAN interface: 220.x.y.z

Remote Gateway settings on HQ SG330 utm: 
Name: Branch
Gateway type: Initiate Connection
Gateway: 115.x.y.z
Auth Type: Preshared Key
Remote networks: 10.25.0.0/16

Connection settings on HQ SG330 utm: 
Name: BranchConnect
Remote Gateway: Branch
Local Interface: External (220.x.y.234)
Policy: AES-128
Local Networks: 10.1.0.0/16 and 10.10.0.0/16
Automatically firewall rules checked

Remote Office (SG105)
Internal private lan: 10.25.0.0/16
WAN interface: 115.x.y.z (this is a PPOE negotiated dsl connection, but the IP address remains the same)

Remote Gateway settings on Remote SG105 utm: 
Name: HQ
Gateway type: Respond Only
Auth Type: Preshared Key
Remote networks: 10.1.0.0/16 and 10.10.0.0/16

Connection settings on Remote SG105 utm: 
Name: HQConnect
Remote Gateway: HQ
Local Interface: External (115.x.y.116)
Policy: AES-128
Local Networks: 10.25.0.0/16
Automatically firewall rules checked

Also, as above, having the remote office as the responder and the HQ office as the initiator is the only way i can get the tunnel to come up. Not sure why that is the case. 

I have also played around with many different setting options (e.g. use Strict Routing, Bind tunnel to local interface, etc), but nothing seems to help. I always end up with where i am now - the tunnel comes up, but no traffic seems to be going through the tunnel (can't ping, can't rdp). 

any help will be greatly appreciated. 

regards, 

Patrick

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Patrick,

Reconfigure the IPSec policy on both the end. Post the screenshot of the configuration and let us know if the traffic is forwarded through either end via IPSec. To monitor the packet communication for IPSec tunnel refer https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-US/115702 .

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Sachin, 

Apologies for the late reply. I did not receive an email notification that a response had been posted so i didn't read your reply until today. 

An update of where this problem is at: 

I have a case open with your tech support team and it is ongoing now for some time.

I updated to latest firmware on both UTMs (9.405-5) and reconfigured the gateways and connections on both ends. We know my config works because it does connect and traffic does flow sometimes. And it actually can work consistently at times. It can work all day, wit h me disconnecting and re-connecting several times without issue. 

However it will still randomly show the original problem (tunnel comes up, but no traffic allowed through). I have tried to get your tech team to log in remotely and see it in action, but unfortunately they haven't had the chance as yet. 

So at this point: 

- we know config is correct as it does work sometimes
    - problem still randomly happens (tunnel will come up but no traffic whatsoever will go through either end)
    - When it does happen, there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to behave again (have tried reboots, disconnects, reconnects, etc). I just leave it for a few hours or until next day and the find it suddenly works again. 
    - problem does not happen with SSL tunnels (they come up and allow traffic every single time I have tested)

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. This problem is a weird one, and i suspect it will take a while to figure out, so any help will be much appreciated. 

regards, 

Patrick

• Hi Patrick,

If you look into the ESPdump captures, as referred in my previous post you can verify whether the UTM is forwarding the packets and if the request is responded or not via both ends. If the communication is one-sided, you can verify the IPSec connection with a different ISP line on both ends. I am sure this can help.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Sachin, 

The ESPdump is helpful. It is getting more information: 

- when the problem presents itself, ESPdump on the HQ side sees traffic coming from the Remote side (ICMP tests done from a computer on the remote lan to a computer at the HQ end)

- however, ESPdump does not show any traffic leaving the HQ side to the remote side (either the replies from the above ping test, or a separate ping test from an computer in the HQ lan to a computer in the Remote lan)

So it looks like when the problem presents, the HQ utm is deciding not to send traffic down its tunnel. 

When it does work, i can see traffic both sides using ESPdump, so I'm assuming that puts the problem on the HQ utm end (SG 330) 

I checked to see if a route had been created and there is one in the route table (i.e. 10.25.0.0 Use Interface eth1 (Ext WAN int)) 

Any other suggestions on what i can test?

• Hi Patrick,

Amazing, now check if anything is dropped via HQ UTM. Check #1 from this amazing guide by balfson.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung

• Hi Sachin, 

Thanks. I have checked: 

- Instrusion Prevention is Off on both ends

- Application Control is not being used

- I have wateched the HQ firewall logs and not noticed any dropped traffic destined for Remote office

Any other suggestions?

Please keep in mind that this exact same config will randomly decide to work. I could come in tomorrow morning and find it working. I can then turn it off/on several times and it will remain working.

I'm thinking at this point, we've managed to figure out that it is the HQ end and it is related to the IPSEC tunnel. It does not seem to be sending traffic down the tunnel (proven with the espdump). What else can i check to see why it would not be sending traffic down the tunnel? 

• The most disappointing thing about this whole experience is how Sophos Support has been. We have "Premium" support on both our UTMs and it's been weeks since i first logged the issue. To date i've only received first level support and the time in between responses there could be days. Only for him to confirm "yes, something is odd here". That was a week ago. It was "escalated" but i am yet to hear from anyone. 

I have looked through other threads and I notice similar experiences. In particular, ones where something that was working before a firmware update is suddenly broken. That screams firmware bug and you would think Sophos would be on it straight away to assist. I am seeing a trend of things breaking after updates and then little assistance from Sophos to resolve - really shakes my confidence in the product and makes me wonder what we are getting paying for "premium" support. 

• Hi Patrick, 

We regret the poor experience you had with Support. Can you please provide me the case# so I can take a look at the history and try to find the required solution?

Meanwhile, go to IPSec> Debug, and select the IKE Debugging flags. Verify the logs if any suspicious information is captured for disconnection over IPSec, you can also send me an instance of the debug logs when you face the disconnection.  I would like to look into the logs from both ends HO and BO. 

Thanks

Sachin Gurung

• Hi Sachin, 

The case no is #6417303. Yesterday I did manage to get a call from another tech (funnily enough not long after i posted here). He did make quite a few log captures of things he thought would be useful and has gone away to look them over. The first level tech that responded also took a number of log captures as well. So i would say you should be able to see quite a lot of captures in the case history. 

regards, 

Patrick

• Hi Patrick,

The case is with the escalation team and the engineer can call you in 8am – 6pm AEST Mon-Fri. Please drop a mail about your availability so that he can reach you. I am following up with the case#.

Thanks

Sachin Gurung