This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrate to XG thoughts?

Hi, I've been a UTM8-9 user for years and love it. I just purchased an XG210 for a remote office and it came pre-loaded with the XG OS.

I have not played around with the XG OS at all, now that XG is a few years old, is it finally mature enough and "worth" (Added performance, security features, etc) migrating to, or just stick to UTM and save the hassle of learning a new OS? 

Just curious on users thoughts who have played around with both. Thanks for the input :)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Try it in a VM before you migrate.  I tried it about 6 months ago and didn't really care for it.

• I tested it a couple of months ago and wasn't happy with it. Prepare to configure everything again from scratch (no upgrade path) and have features lacking.

It looks very lovely and polished on the cover but it's simply not there yet as a UTM9 replacement. Of course, everyone's mileage will vary based on what functionality you use; I couldn't bridge a LAG group or VLAN from memory.

• Whoa!  The license that came with that probably won't work for UTM.  Check with your reseller and Sophos and let us know what you learn.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yeah, I was told that Sophos is allowing downgrades to the UTM license. Will need to see, if not I have some phone calls to make. 

• After playing around with it I really like the XG OS. It is very fast and clean and has a lot of nice features that I have been looking for in the UTM. Unfortunately, I need to quickly replace a UTM at a remote location, and I'm worried about interrupting work to migrate (issue new VPN keys, migrate certificates, troubleshoot problems). so because of time restraints, I had to call for a downgrade. 

Once they get their migration tool for an easy conversion that will move over Objects and certificates ill switch.