This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Experience with "Premium Support"

Hi folks,

today I just wanted to generally ask you what experience you have with the Sophos Premium support.

As we got a HA running and purchased the Premium support, I supposed to also really get premium support, but until now it was mostly far less than that.

So we are located in Italy and tried to reache the German Premium Support in Karlsruhe for a pretty specific filesystem issue on one of the nodes. I called them, but they told me that they can't help me via phone.

So I wrote an eMail a few minutes after the phone call. After 4 days I received a reply stating, that it's not possible to get Support in German, because our company is based in Italy (We are natively speaking german).

Okay, so i got forwarded to the Italian FIRST LEVEL SUPPORT, which started with some completely useless basic questions, which i have already written in my mail. So, we spent 3 more days, until the italian support understood, what we were talking about. After that, he accessed via remote and told me, that one node was dead (which we have also already written in the mail).

Finally, after the 5th day, he told us to make a reimaging (we just wanted to wait till we are being told what exactly to do not to have any issues with the warranty later on). So we did the reimaging and it worked again.

Does anyone else also experience such troubles with the so called "Premium Support" or is it just us here in IT?

Kind regards

Ivan S.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Premium support is far from it...It has slowly eroded to the point where we only use them to log the call and issue and kick it around for a few days so I can then get our local country manager to escalate it.

Once escalated it gets resolved

Support were totally knocked over by the fiasco that was 9.3 and I think most if it is now out sourced to the Philippines 

Sophos to offshore American support operations

And if you look here they have a number of openings

SOPHOS COMPUTER SECURITY PTE LTD Jobs - Job Vacancy @ Job Search JobStreet.com Philippines

My last call was about country blocking exceptions not working. They spent 2 days trying to fix it and then I found the answer on this site and it fixed the issue.

Luckily our local country manager in Ireland is fantastic and is always able to help.
  • Okay, so i got forwarded to the Italian FIRST LEVEL SUPPORT, which started with some completely useless basic questions, which i have already written in my mail.

Same experience here, first level support is very annoying asking you basic questions like "Did you plug your cable correctly..etc"...[;)], several days wasted until the ticket was escalated to the second level, where I've got almost immediate response from the engineer that my reported issue will be fixed in 9.315 release.
  • Toby,

I sent you a PM. Hope you do not mind.

C68
  • Have you reviewed any previous threads on this subject?

I recall two (1)(2), there may be others. It should be a recurring topic: positive or negative.

A fragment from a passing thought: Support may not be where money is made, but it can certainly be where customers are lost.
  • Toby,

I sent you a PM. Hope you do not mind.

C68

Not at all;-)
  • I have two Sophos UTM installations. 

One of them is a home installation that I use for both testbed and "production" in the sense that my work and our family's Internet connection depend on it. The family tolerates shutting it down for backups, "snapshots" before tests and updates, etc. I can quickly and easily replace it with a standard consumer router if things go badly wrong.

The other is a Sophos UTM 120 that is the headquarters office firewall for a friend's small business. We purchased Sophos Premium Support for it, trusting that Sophos would backstop me if we had an emergency failure that blocked normal company operations, or if I ran into technical questions that I could not answer for myself. As I said in a previous post, I believe that one should call on a company's technical support services after you have exhausted reasonable attempts to resolve the issue on your own by reading the documentation, searching the Internet, etc. I never use (or would consider using) Premium Support for anything related to my home UTM installation - we did not pay for that.

I have since learned that:

(a) Many (most?) people use technical support as a lazy crutch instead of RTFM. 

(b) Sophos' documentation is neither thorough nor complete.

(c) Sophos Premium Technical Support is not up to the task - partly because of (a) and (b). They appear to be starved for resources at all levels, but especially at those with high technical skills to help solve truly difficult problems.

Here is my history with Premium Support:

1. When I started the office UTM 120 for the first time, it misbehaved badly. I had been running the home UTM for months, so I was confident that I had it set up correctly. Eventually I called Premium Technical Support and spoke with someone in Australia. He was very good and eventually we were able to reset the UTM back to factory settings. I ran through the exact same initial setup, and the UTM 120 worked correctly. There was no explanation for the initial glitch, but it has run fine ever since. This was a great experience, and I was very impressed with Sophos Premium Support. 

2. Since then, I called Premium Technical Support twice. In both cases, I was looking for technical details that are not documented by Sophos. Each time I sat on hold for a long time (say, 1 hour) and eventually the phone was answered by someone in a faraway office with no technical knowledge. They had been diverted from their normal job to assuage customer frustration at the long hold times and gather the initial call details, promising a callback later. I didn't have that kind of time to wait for an answer, so I just gutted it out on my own and tried what I thought was right. 

After those long hold times, I am genuinely concerned about how Sophos quickly can respond to a UTM incident where normal business operations are blocked. 

3. Recently I found a possible minor bug. I opened a low priority ticket on this issue using the web interface. It took several days for Sophos to respond, and the response was to confirm my identity and authorization to use Premium Support, not the issue itself. It took another few days before they asked some questions about it, even though it is trivial to replicate and I had provided step-by-step instructions on how to replicate it. It took over a week to confirm that they had actually replicated the issue. They asked engineering whether it is a bug or expected behavior, and are waiting for an answer. The ticket is still open, two weeks later.
  • I don't have any expirience with premium support, but basic support here in german-speaking europe is a shame. 

Even second level support sometimes has no deep-diving technical knowledge of the product they should support. As far as I know, sophos has made major changes into its german-speaking support team to increase quality and some changes are slowly going to show effect. But the quality is far away from where it should, and as long as this is not getting better they will never enter the enterprise market (What is not a target of them afaik).

I've been talking about this to Sophos Support Employees and they mentioned, that they have allways about 150 Tickets into their medium queue, what means each ticket has to wait for about one week until it gets handled.

Please send me Spam gueselkuebel@sg-utm.also-solutions.ch

• Some suggestions:
    [LIST=1]The only advantage of Premium Support is that the customer can open a support case directly without involving the reseller.
    • You don't need premium support if your reseller has an experienced Sophos Certified Architect (SCA-UTM).
    • Never, never, never call Support for anything your organization owns unless you're a giant company with $50 Million of gear that pays $50,000/year for personal assistance.  Calling virtually always means you get someone that's just a message-taker.
    • I get the best response from Sophos by using the 'Support ticket' form in MyUTM.com.  An email works almost as well, but the ticket will not be trackable on the MyUTM site.
    [/LIST]

As I've said elsewhere here over the last few months, Sophos misunderstood what it took to support a comprehensive product like the UTM.  Beginning a little less than two years ago, they started to chase off many of the Astaro-trained support staff.  They later tried to outsource Support to Manila.  Those bone-headed decisions caused the replacement of the worldwide head of services late last year.  Moving much of Support from Manila to India was a good step, but still did not fix all of the problems.  In the not-too-distant future, SCAs creating a case at Support will get immediate access to Level-2 if the case appears well-documented - another reason to choose your reseller wisely.

In addition to losing a lot of expertise, another reason that Support got buried was the explosion of issues caused by the rapid code changes necessitated by having to react to here major vulnerabilities in six months - instead of less than one a year.  Sophos was, in general, too slow to pull some of their top developers off V10 to address the bugs created in 8.3 and 9.3, but that happened earlier this year.  Things started to improve dramatically with 9.310.  9.314, just released, has 100 (one hundred!) fixes, so it looks like we're nearing the end of the tunnel on that front, too.

Sophos has damaged its relationship with its resellers, and I expect that of those that first started in 2014, many, if not most, will find another solution.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA